Poulter, Henry

Birth Date

24th April 1910


Sunderland, England



Biographical Text

Poulter didn’t sign as a professional until he joined Exeter City from Sunderland in the summer of 1932.

Prior to that he had played for the Roker Park club as an amateur, where he featured in three FA Cup ties.

The forward had previously served with the Royal Navy, stationed in Rosyth in Scotland, Portsmouth and the Mediterranean with the Atlantic Fleet.

He was to score regularly for the Grecians after making his debut, and netting a goal in the 2-0 win at Bristol City in August 1932-33.

But it wasn’t until his third and final season at St James’ Park in 1934-35 that he played regularly, although even then he only totalled 26 league games, but scored 16 goals to end the campaign as joint top scorer with Frank Wrightson.

HIs form was so impressive that many scouts were watching him and Frank Wrighton.
The Western Morning News expressed concern that the directors might feel compelled by the club's parlous financial state to accept any serious offer.He did not leave, and began the new season in the team. But in early September, he was again taken ill with what was initially described as "stomach trouble".
He returned to the reserves in January, claimed to feel no after-effects from his illness, and attempted a return to first-team football, but "failed to recapture his old form" and intended to retire from professional football at the end of the season.
Given a free transfer by Exeter, Henry returned to the north-east and began a month's trial with Hartlepools United in August 1936, but he never played league football for them.

The 1939 Register listed him as a single man living in his brother's family home in Sunderland, a port maintenance fitter's labourer by occupation and serving with the Police War Reserve on a full-time basis.

Henry died in Sunderland on 25 February 1985 at the age of 74.






Item Relations

This item has no relations.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>