Anderson, Desmond

Birth Date

11th September 1940





Biographical Text

A member of Exeter City’s promotion winning team of 1963-64, Des Anderson had been signed by the Grecians from Northern Irish side, Glenavon, in August 1962.
He had won seven caps for the Northern Ireland amateur international team. He had played for Cliftonville prior to joining Glenavon. Des played in a trial match for the club, returned to Ireland, but then agreed to sign a contract and went straight into City’s first team following regular centre-half Keith Harvey’s ankle fracture, making his debut in the opening game of the season at home to Torquay United, a match that the Plainmoor club won 3-0. However, he only missed two league matches that season, and the following campaign was an ever present as Exeter won promotion to the Third Division.

In the summer of 1964,Exeter City employed Des as an interior decorator to supplement his summer wages. He only missed three league games in 1964-65 despite it being a struggle for City in the higher division, and he also scored what proved to be his only league goal for the club in a 4-1 home win over Grimsby Town in December 1964. The substitute rule was first introduced in season 1965-66, when a team could use a player to replace another only if an injury had occurred. The honour of being the Grecians very first playing substitute went to Des, who was introduced against Brighton and Hove Albion at the Goldstone Ground. He replaced the injured Bryce Fulton, as the City lost the match 2-1. However, in 1965-66, a season when Exeter were relegated back to Division Four, he only featured in a handful of matches, had asked for a transfer in September 1965, and was released at the end of it to join Chesterfield in July 1966.

He had also been studying for a qualification in Industrial Management whilst at City and in September 1965, he had considered moving to South Africa. He played just 8 league matches in two seasons for the Saltergate club though and was to then move on to Matlock Town in the summer of 1968.

Living in North Wales in 2011, Anderson paid a return visit to St James’ Park in March of that year, the first time he had been back since he played for the club.






Item Relations

This item has no relations.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>