Tom Oliver was brought up in Cheriton Fitzpaine and moved to Exeter, aged 16. He worked for St Anne’s Well Brewery and later took over as license of the Red Lion Hotel in Sidwell Street. It was here that St Sidwell’s United used one of the rooms to change in for matches and also where they held their AGM on 31 May 1904 when the club name was changed to Exeter City. Tom, ‘the worthy host’, was thanked for his support. This became even more pronounced in 1908 when Oliver was one of those present at a public meeting that voted to support the club going professional. Tom became a Director of the club and can be seen seated with the players in the 1910-11 team photo. In 1909 he donated a cup to be competed for by Exeter schools. He was a central figure in a club scandal in 1912 when an FA inquiry found the club guilty of financial malpractices. Tom was one of three directors who reported the club to the FA for paying illegal bonuses. He was censured along with a number of other directors.