Match 38
30th March 1912
Southern League
Coventry City (Away)

Plymouth and District League
Sherwood Foresters (h)

Exeter's Fine Defence Saves the Situation:

Saturday, March 30th 1912.
Coventry 1, Exeter 1.

Last season: Exeter 3 Coventry 1.
In 1909-10: Coventry 6 Exeter 0.

Only four thousand were present when the teams turned out at Coventry, in splendid weather with a strong wind blowing in sudden gusts. The "Peepers" employed the team which defeated Plymouth in the Charities' Cup on Wednesday, whilst Exeter City kept Pym in goal but changed the wingers, Parnell crossing over to his old position on the right and Griffiths coming in on the left. Pratt lost the toss, and Rutter kicked off. Teams :
COVENTRY CITY Evans Thompson Parton Yates Bradley Chaplin Parkes Brown Turnbull Jones Holmes
Referee: Mr J.W.Bailey, of Leicester.
EXETER CITY Pym Evans Fort Bassett Pratt Lockett Parnell Watson Rutter Cornan Griffiths 

Playing on their own ground, Coventry may be regarded as being a trifle fortunate in sharing the points with Exeter City, though it must be said that the great defence by Pym and his backs in the final quarter of an hour of the game became the main reason for Exeter coming away with a point. However, most of the good football in the game was played by the Grecians, especially before the interval, and the Coventry team altogether Exeter's skill and speed. Midway through the first half Exeter took the lead. Sweeping down the field, Griffiths took the ball almost to the goal-line before rolling a perfect ground pass across to Rutter. The City centre-forward lost no time in banging the leather into the net, the speed and weight of the shot being more than Evans could cope with. Coventry failed to take advantage of the strong wind in their favour, and could only draw level by means of a doubtful looking penalty kick two minutes before the interval. Parkes was judged to have been fouled just inside the line, and Bradley scored from the kick. There was a consultation between the referee and one of his linesmen before the decision over the penalty was confirmed.
Second Half.
There were plenty of thrills, despite the absence of goals, in this half, and two remarkable saves were made in the goalmouths by the respective centre-halves. Bradley seemed to spring up from absolutely nowhere, with Evans beaten by Rutter's shot, to hook the ball off the very line, whilst Pratt did likewise for Exeter after Parkes had cleverly outwitted the City backs. Both goalkeepers indulged in some risky running out, Pym once having the ball lobbed over his head, but Fort, who had dropped back, was able to kick clear.

An Exciting Finish.
The game closed in exciting fashion, for with barely a minute to go Griffiths placed a corner kick with such accuracy that the ball fell in front of Evans, who appeared to fumble it over his own line before safely gathering. But a strenuous appeal by the Exeter players, who swarmed round the referee, was refused on the grounds that the ball had never crossed the line.

Plymouth and District League.

Army Cup-Finalists at St.James's Park.

In beautiful weather and on a much improved pitch Exeter City Reserves met Sherwood Foresters for Plymouth League points. The Reserves included four professionals, and were expected to make a great effort to check the winning career of the Servicemen, who again this year have a wonderful record. They are at present challenging Torquay Town for the Plymouth League Championship, and are in the Final of the Army Cup, a trophy which they hold. Furthermore, five of the Foresters played for the Army versus the Navy last week, in the annual match. Martin won the toss, and the City soon attacked. Whittaker gave Marsden a rare handful from a free-kick, and for a time the City were very aggressive.

The Foresters Score.
Stephenson, however, got his men on the move, and a mistake by the Exeter backs enabled Armstrong to put Sharman through. The inside man treated the spectators to a splendid piece of close dribbling, and getting free of Godbere's attentions, he crashed in a shot which gave Big Walt not an earthly chance. Twice Marsden was in difficulties, and on the second occasion he certainly appeared to carry the ball over his line, but the appeal failed, and in Exeter's next attack Bailey dashed through but skied the ball. The game was being fought out at a furious pace, and from a centre by Murphy, Whittaker fielded the ball, only to be fouled and dispossessed. Joyce gave away a corner with a flying volley, and from the flag kick Clarke scooped the ball wide. Clarke twice miskicked, but Rigby and Big Walt covered his bad judgment. Martin handled in the penalty area, rather unnecessarily, and Murphy scored from the spot.
Second Half.
The first half had been full of exciting incidents, but the Foresters did not deserve a two-goals lead on the play.
Upon the restart the City rearranged their team, E.Whittaker dropping back to partner Clarke, and Godbere playing on the right wing. The move appeared to be a good one, for within a minute of the start Lewis scored for the Reserves from Godbere's centre. The scoring was completed by Corner, for the Foresters, from a perfect centre by Crisp, after Jennings had struck the crossbar.
Foresters 3 Exeter Reserves 1.

Teams :
Reserves: W.Whittaker; Godbere, Clarke; Rigby, Prideaux, Martin; E.Whittaker, Lewis, Bailey, Addicott, and Massey.

Foresters: Marsden; Joyce, Murphy (1); Harbottle, Stephenson, Corner; Murphy (2), Sharman, Armstrong, Jennings, and Crisp.

Referee: Sergeant Hutchings.

  • Devon Senior Cup Final.            In the final of the Devon Senior Cup, played at Home Park, the Argyle beat Torquay Town by three goals to one.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>