Match 36
24th March 1913
Coventry City-Home

Devon Senior Cup Final
Plymouth Argyle (a)

Easter Monday, March 24th. EXETER CITY V COVENTRY CITY.

Big Crowd at St. James's Park.

This afternoon, at St. James's Park, Exeter City finished off their Easter matches, the opposition being provided by Coventry City, whom they defeated away from home on Good Friday.

Crompton's men were given a splendid reception by the big crowd in recognition of their fine performances during the Easter holiday tour. They were able to play the same team as in these matches, although Whittaker was suffering from a bruised thigh. Coventry had to make a change, through Feebury being injured at Gillingham on Saturday.
Teams :
CITY: Pym Fort Hurst Rigby Bassett Lockett Whittaker Cooper Rutter Crompton Ives

Referee: Mr C.W.Gillett, of London.

COVENTRY Jacques Thompson Barnacle Yates Kimberley Jackson Parkes Brown Smith McCulloch Holmes 

There were about 5,000 present when the teams turned out. The sun was bright, and the pitch, having dried out over the week-end was in perfect condition. Crompton won the toss, and Coventry kicked off from the far end, facing the sun. 
Crompton was fouled by Yates, but Coventry regained possession from the free-kick, and Holmes drove in a fine shot from a pass by Smith, the ball going only a foot wide. Jacques was severely tested by Whittaker, and Rutter following up, charged into the custodian, but could not dispossess him. Coventry led some very likely looking raids, and although the Grecians were having the best of the play territorially, they were not so far dangerous. Jacques fielded a long sweeping cross shot by Whittaker, then Pyn fell and saved in great style from Parkes, smothering the leather as Smith rushed into him. Whittaker again tested Jacques, and Rutter getting offside, a free kick was given against the Grecians. It was an even game so far, with plenty of high kicking of the light ball. Whittaker put behind, following a free kick. Rutter, put through by Crompton, but with Barnacle and Thompson boring down on him, could only manage a weak shot. Jacques saved twice from Cooper, also punching out a header from Crompton. After twenty minutes Exeter scored. The ball was put out to Ives, who dribbled past Yates and Thompson, and shot almost from the goal-line. Jacques was beaten to the wide world, and the ball was on the line, if not over, when Cooper dashed in and sent it flying to the back of the rigging. It counted as Cooper's goal, but all the credit for it rightly went to Ives. Exeter now began to exert their superiority, and after Fort had cleared from Holmes the City forced a corner off Barnacle, and from the flag kick, by Whittaker, Bassett found the net with a rousing shot, putting the City two up. The City continued to have the best of the play, and Cooper fed the ball out to Whittaker, who, after a brilliant run past all the opposition, shot right across goal, the ball going out of play beyond the far post. Crompton subsequently headed over from a corner, and half-time arrived with the score:
Excellent football had been seen by the big holiday crowd all through the first half, during which Exeter were the stronger combination. Nevertheless, the visitors played some pretty football, and brought off many clever moves, but failed badly when they got near goal. The second half was slower, with Exeter City distinctly the better team, and after Cooper had missed an easy chance from a free-kick, he got his second point from the rebound.
Final: Exeter City 3 Coventry City 0. 
  • The Grecians are at last top of the League, with 41 points, followed by Swindon Town, Reading, and Crystal Palace, each with 40 points.


At Home Park, Plymouth, Exeter City Reserves were beaten 2-1 by the Argyle Reserves in the final of the Devon Senior Cup. The contest was a desperately close one throughout, and the Exeter players considered themselves to have been rather unlucky, while they also spoke none too highly of the refereeing. There can be little doubt, in fact, that on a neutral ground, at St. James's Park, the City would have won the trophy for the first time, and this question of grounds is one which the Exeter management would do well to see settled on more fair and reasonable lines another year before they enter the competition. Golightly equalised after the interval. Following Exeter's goal At half-time Plymouth led by a goal, scored by Kellock, and Craig made a marvellous save from Garside, and towards the close Sutherland scored the winning goal for the Argyle. Exeter piled on the pressure, but were unable to score again, the last part of the match being intensely exciting.

Tuesday, March 25th.

EXETER CITY 4 (Brooksbank 2, Garside, Willats).



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>