Match 33
5th March 1955
Coventry City (H)

Southern League
Yeovil (a)

9th March 1955.
Hastings (h)



St James's Park had recovered surprisingly well from the effects of recent snow, frost, and rain, and the playing pitch was in fair trim for today's match between Exeter and Coventry City. Captaining the Exeter side was Brian Doyle. He began on the wrong foot by losing the toss. Favoured by sun and wind Coventry were early on the attack. The City defence was in trouble following a free kick against Mackay on the half-way line, and the ball bobbed about dangerously in the penalty area before a goal-bound shot was punched clear by Kelly. Then Collindridge passed intelligently along the ground to Rowley, whose first-time shot from 12 yards out missed the far post. Exeter then raised the siege and Owens put Mackay through, but the inside man's header was saved by Matthews. Half-time arrived with nothing scored, and the second half continued in the same vein with finishing poor on both sides. Douglass in the 65th minute however started a move which ought to have brought Exeter the lead. The left back advanced well up the field, and his lofted pass into the penalty area was needlessly handled by Jones. The referee naturally enough awarded the City a spot kick and Mackay tried his favourite ruse of attempting to slip the ball slowly into the corner of the net. This time he did not succeed, for Matthews, who is in the reckoning for an English International "cap" was too quick. The goalkeeper dived full length to smother the ball on the goal-line before clearing upfield.

Exeter City:- Kelly; B.Doyle, Douglass; Owens, Harvey, Mitchell; Thomas, Mackay, John, Murphy, McClelland.

Coventry City:- Matthews; Jones, Kirk; Jamieson, McDonnell, Austin; Moore, Rowley, Dutton, Hill, Collindridge.

Referee:- Mr L. Callaghan of Merthyr.

The only fitting thing about this match was the result, Exeter City 0 Coventry 0. Seldom has a match between two Football League sides produced such a
lack of constructive work. Apart from Kelly and the backs only Harvey and Thomas enhanced their reputations. Matthews of Coventry is a very smart goalkeeper.


Exeter City Reserves started with a rush at Huish, but this did not last very long, and after 20 minutes Reid scored for Yeovil. Clarke added the second goal, receiving from Lunn and beating Bell with a good shot after 30 minutes. Five minutes before the interval McKay obtained Yeovil's third goal with a good shot from the left wing. Twenty minutes from the end Anderson, the City inside left, was sent off the field by the referee.
Yeovil Town 3 City Reserves 0.

Hastings Poor Opposition and Escaped Lightly

Wednesday March 9th:

The vaunted 'Revie' plan of Manchester City was tried out by Exeter City Reserves when Hastings United visited St. James's Park for a Southern League match. Briefly, the plan was that Walton should assume the Don Revie role by operating as a roving centre-forward and a prompter from behind the attack. How did the plan work out? On the credit side Walton's pass supplied the opening from which Priestley scored the only goal of the match. But whether the City have the men to make the Revie formation succeed in the fiercer and quicker Third Division grade is doubtful. The play of Hastings was well below the standard expected from this team, which was the Cup giant-killer of the early rounds.

City Reserves: Kelly; T.Foley, Douglass; Owens, Harvey, Mitchell; Priestley, John, Walton, Ellaway, McClelland.

Hastings:- Ball; Cropper, Thompson; Peacock, Griffiths, Chadwick; Taylor, Kent, Asher, Parks, Girling.
Exeter City Reserves 1
Hastings United 0.

  • Theodore Foley, aged 18 years, who is reputed to be a hard tackling and speedy left-back, has joined Exeter City from the Dublin Football Club, Home Farm, on amateur forms. His height is 5'9" and weight llst. He had little to do in the above match but made no mistakes, and has the look of a very good prospect.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>