Match 11
27th September 1980
Charlton (h)

Saturday 27th September 1980
Division Three

Exeter City 4 Charlton Athletic 3

Attendance: 4,916

Tony Kellow repaid another slice of the £70,000 transfer fee it took to bring him back to St James' Park from Blackpool with a glorious hat-trick. City, with this victory, kept firmly in touch with the top of the division. Exeter recovered brilliantly after surrendering their initial two goal lead to send their supporters home happy and well satisfied. The match was packed with excitement in which Jimmy Giles was making his 300th League appearance. City took the lead after 90 seconds. An atrocious goal kick by Jeff Wood, who slipped as he took it, went straight to Steve Neville 25-yards out. Wood palmed away Neville's shot, but Kellow tapped the rebound into the net for the perfect start. After 11 minutes Kellow scored again, firing in a shot from John Delve's right wing cross. Charlton at this stage were struggling badly, but in their first real attack in the 23rd minute they pulled a shock goal back when Hales lashed home a tremendous shot. Four minutes later the visitors were on level terms. Robinson scored at the second attempt after his first effort was blocked. City really piled on the pressure and were rewarded after 37 minutes when a long cross from lan Pearson was thumped into the net by Frank Prince. It seemed only a matter of time in the second half before Exeter would score again and the goal came in the 62nd minute. Peter Rogers shot rebounded off the post and Kellow banged the ball home to complete his hat-trick. Charlton kept plugging away and with two minutes remaining Robinson netted his second goal of the game.

City team:
lan Main, Martyn Rogers, Peter Hatch, Frank Prince, Jimmy Giles, Phil Roberts, lan Pearson, Steve Neville, Tony Kellow, John Delve, Peter Rogers.

Charlton team:
Wood, Gritt, Warman, Shaw, Berry, Tydeman, Powell, Walsh, Hales, Smith (Walker). Robinson.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>