Match 04
19th August 1969
Football League Cup R1 Replay
Bristol City (a)


Football League Cup 1st Round Replay

Tuesday August 19th 1969.


Exeter City are out of the Football League Cup, and Leicester City will now face Bristol City at Ashton Gate in the next round. On the form they displayed against Exeter the Bristolians will probably be favourites to win that match.

Bristol City:- Gibson; Jacobs, Drysdale; Merrick, Rooks, Parr; Skirton, Garland, Galley, Kellard, Sharpe.

Exeter City:- Shearing; Crawford, Blain; Giles, Newman, Parker; Corr, Banks, Wingate, Mitten, Walker.

Subs:- Derrick (Bristol) Pleat (Exeter). Referee:- Mr T. Reynolds of Swansea.

Exeter fought hard at Bristol against a heavier, faster, and more experienced side, but made the mistake, especially in the first half, of relying too much on defence. After the interval, by which time they were two goals behind, they at last threw caution to the wind and this brought them more success. After Corr had opened their account Parr put the ball into his own net, and the City's hopes came alive in this period. Bristol's scorers were Rooks, Kellard (first half) and Sharpe. There was a good attendance, with a crowd of 10,915 turning out for the occasion.

Match report 2

Exeter City's exit from the Football League Cup was not as ignominious after some prophets might have forecast after their opening League games, Two goals down at half time Exeter seemed down and out, but they produced a marvellous second half display that had Bristol City reeling at times. A John Corr goal early in the half was just what Exeter needed, they conceded a third, but back came Exeter to score again, It was nearly all Bristol City in the first half, They were running more off the ball and finding their menNot a great deal was seen of Exeter as an attacking force. Bristol City went ahead after only 5 minuted, Rooks heading in after a brilliant double save by Peter Shearing. They scoed again in the 28th minute, Kellard shooting home from the edge of the penalty área, In the 57th minute Exeter were back in the game, Alan Bnaks crossed the ball and Corr scored with a fine volley shot, 12 minutes later Sharpe headed Bristol City's third goal from Kellard's cross, Exeter were now more in the game and seven minutes from the end Parr put through his own goal after a Corr cross was not cleared,


Incentive is the key word for Exeter City this season. The board of directors have put their players on a crowd incentive bonus. This applies to the whole playing staff whether they are in the Fourth Division side or not Chairman Les Kerslake said that the scheme proved very successful last season. The board are of the opinion that any incentive bonus must be tied to increased revenue. They consider that the players are entitled to a share of any increased revenue earned by their efforts, Given consistent results, the resulting gates would mean that the City players would be among the best paid in the Fourth Division.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>