Match 09
13th September 1969
Workington (h)

Exeter City v Workington

13th September 1969 

Shearing; Blain, Morris; Parker, Sharples, Balson; Pleat, Wingate, Banks, Mitten, Giles

Sub: Walker.

Rogan; Ogilvie, Butler; Goodfellow, Spencer, Middlemass; Barlow, Wilson, Wall, Tyrer, Martin.

Sub: Spratt for Wall, second half.
Referee:- Mr R.L.Weedon of Earley.

Attendance 4,536.


EXETER CITY swept to their biggest Division 4 victory of the season before a crowd of 4.536 at St. James's Park this afternoon, when they beat Workington 5-1. After being 1-0 up at half-time, Exeter suddenly found themselves on level terms within five minutes of the resumption, but then scored three times in five minutes to change the picture completely. Exeter fielded an unchanged team, but Workington, managed by former Exeter full back Brian Doyle, had Clive Middlemass playing his first game since January, Middlemass received serious injuries in a car crash. A free kick to Exeter in the first minute came to nothing and a Workington effort ended in the same fashion. When Ogilvie tried to make a run he was stopped by Parker, who passed back to Shearing. After five minutes Banks was in a good position to score, but with only Rogan to beat he placed wide of the goal. In the next minute Exeter had a let-off when Tyrer's cracking low shot rebounded from the goalpost with Shearing beaten. Play was generally scrappy in the early stages with many passes going astray. Then Exeter had a chance when Mitten's centre was headed back to Banks by Wingate, but Alan miskicked from a good position in front of goal.


In the tenth minute Workington should have scored. Ogilvie beat Morris and slipped the ball forward to Barlow, whose centre was miskicked by Goodfellow to give the City a goal kick. Two minutes later there were confident appeals by Exeter for a penalty when Wingate was brought down well inside the area, but the referee, who was right on the spot, took no notice and waved play on. After 30 minutes Banks put in a good header from Blain's free kick and Rogan had to move smartly to his right to take the ball. Then Workington's goalkeeper came to their aid again when he rose high to tip over a hefty drive by Morris. After 40 minutes however Exeter took the lead, and deservedly so. The persistence of Giles paid off as he cut through a packed defence and slid the ball out to Pleat. The winger centred beautifully and Wingate soared to head brilliantly past Rogan and into the top of the net.


Wall, who had been injured and limping on the wing in the first half, did not come out for the second period. His place was taken by Tommy Spratt, the former Torquay United inside-forward. And within a matter of five minutes he put Workington level. A free kick taken by Wilson caught the City defence standing still and Spratt headed in. This was a bit of a shock for Exeter, who had been well in control, but after that goal the Northerners gained in confidence and began to have more of the game. And continuing on the offensive Workington piled on the pressure, and Shearing saved on his knees from Spratt. Wingate then got himself into a good shooting position but his lack of speed enabled the opposing defence to crowd him out. In the 67th minute Exeter were awarded a penalty. Pleat fought hard for the ball on the half-way line, won it, and pushed it forward to Banks, who was brought down in the penalty area. The referee pointed to the spot without hesitation and Mitten buried the ball safely in the rigging with a nice shot.


Workington made it clear that they did not like the penalty award, and tempers flared for a few minutes. There was an ugly incident near the touchline, which brought both managers on to the pitch. Three minutes Exeter quietened things down in the best possible way, by adding to their lead when Mitten's centre from the right wing went straight into the net. And still the scoring was not over because in the 72nd minute Pleat blasted in number four from close range after a good move by Exeter's forwards. Three goals in five minutes had completely changed the picture, and Workington had little to offer now.
Five minutes from the end the City scored yet again. Wingate neatly flicked the ball on in the penalty area and Banks ran forward to give Rogan no chance with a beautiful shot that curled into the top of the net. This was of course the most popular goal of the five, and Banks was cheered to the echo on putting his recent bad luck behind him at last.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>