Match 14
4th October 1969
Exeter City (a)

City Caught on the rebound


Saturday October 4th 1969. 


A late goal by Lincoln City robbed Exeter City of a point which they looked capable of taking from their match at Sincil Bank. This meant that Exeter were beaten 1 - 0 in the first of their Northern tour in which two matches have to be played in three days. They are to visit Darlington on Monday, kick-off 7.30 p.m.

Lincoln City:- Kennedy; G.Taylor, Peden; Meath, Grummett, Hubbard; Hughes, Jeffrey, Fletcher, W. Taylor, Smith.

Exeter City:- Shearing; Crawford, Morris; Parker, Newman, Balson; Corr, Blain, Wingate, Mitten, Walker.

Subs: Lewis (Lincoln) Pleat (Exeter).

Referee: Mr A.L.Hart of London.

Lincoln's winning goal was scored by Fletcher in the 80th minute and was shot home after Meath's point blank drive had rebounded from the goalpost. Exeter had worked hard, although having to defend more in the second half than the first. Ray Harford, the former City centre half, was missing from the Lincoln team on account of injury. It is feared that he may need an operation which will keep him out of the game for some time. Exeter forced a corner in the opening minute but Grummett was first to the flag kick to head out of danger. Balson got possession following a throw in by Crawford and set Exeter moving up and the ball was switched to Corr on the opposite flank. He evaded a tackle by Peden and advanced to within ten yards of the corner flag, but spoiled the move with a weak centre, Taylor kicking clear. When Lincoln took up the running and advanced down the centre Newman slipped but managed to divert Fletcher's shot for a corner. A second corner was gained by Lincoln off Newman, and from it Peden drove hard for goal. Shearing saved at the second attempt as Jeffrey moved in.


After ten minutes Lincoln almost took the lead, and it was a very near thing for Exeter. Jeffrey picked up an Exeter throw-in and his well placed shot had Shearing in difficulties. But the goalkeeper managed to block the ball in the nick of time, and Crawford and Morris between them scrambled it away from Fletcher and Taylor. Blain cut inside and beat a couple of opponents before flicking the ball to Wingate. From the return pass Blain hammered in a left footed shot which sailed out of play over the angle of the upright and bar. Meath, who was making his debut for the "Imps" following his transfer from Walsall during the week, came close to giving his new team the lead. Bursting through in the centre he rattled the woodwork with a half-volley which struck the angle of crossbar and upright, and Taylor put the rebound straight to Shearing, who saved comfortably. At this stage the game was evenly balanced, with first one side and then the other threatening to take the lead. Exeter's turn came again after half an hour's play, when the persistence of Blain enabled him to take advantage of a defensive mistake by Lincoln. His first time shot was parried by Kennedy, and Peden raced across to kick the ball off the goal-line. When Walker tried to go through on his own he ran up against two many Lincoln defenders. At the other end Shearing had no difficulty in dealing with a header from Fletcher. Walker tried a shot from fully 25 yards, which kept low but went well wide. Exeter throughout the first half played some good constructive football, and the Lincoln supporters were far from happy with their side's display. Half time came with nothing on the score sheet.


Straight from the resumption Exeter had a free kick, but Lincoln got away to the other end and replied with a corner. From the kick Meath side-footed the ball over the bar after receiving from Taylor. The game continued on even lines, and from Walker's centre Corr fired the ball over the bar. Exeter appealed for a penalty when within seconds of Wingate being charged in the back Walker was brought down heavily, but the referee ignored appeals for both offences to be penalised. In the sixtieth minute Fletcher got the ball into the Exeter net, but was adjudged offside. Twenty minutes from time Lincoln took the lead, which was deserved on the run of the play in the second half. A shot from Meath struck the post and Fletcher scored from the rebound. The entire Exeter side pressed forward with a free kick in the last minute, but in the packed goalmouth it came to nothing.

The game was witnessed by a crowd of 5,791 spectators.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>