Match 16
11th October 1969
Crewe Alexandra (h)

Goals from Walker Crawford and Corr 


Saturday October 11th 1969. 


Perhaps it was predictable that Exeter City returned to winning form at St James's Park this afternoon when they beat the "railwaymen" of Crewe Alexandra. The attendance was 5,101. One goal was obtained during the opening half and two others after the
interval, Exeter thus maintaining their high scoring form on their own ground this season.

Exeter City:- Shearing; Crawford, Morris; Giles, Parker, Balson; Corr, Blain, Wingate, Mitten, Walker.

Crewe:- Adams; Gannon, Leigh; Gater, Stott, Bradshaw; Tarbuck, McHale, Hollett, Inglis, Morrissey.

Subs: Banks (City) Arnold (Crewe).

Referee:- Mr K.Sweet of Aberdare.

Walker put the City ahead after only two minutes but play afterwards became a little scrappy. Crewe broke away to force a corner which was easily cleared, and when Exeter resumed the initiative Blain a yard outside the penalty area was bowled over. From the free-kick Crewe conceded a corner, the flag kick being headed over by Blain. There was a moment of panic in front of the City goal, and Morrissey, the old Torquay United forward, forced a corner. This came to nothing when two visiting forwards were pulled up for offside. Hollett went off for treatment following an ankle injury and took no further part in the proceedings, Arnold, the substitute player, appearing after a delay of a few minutes. Shearing saved well from Tarbuck, and when play was transferred to the other end Blain headed over the bar from Mitten's centre. A shot by Mitten was fumbled by Adams, but the goalkeeper recovered just in time to stop the ball going into the net.


Crewe won a corner immediately after the change of ends but it led to a free kick for the City. From another corner Gater shot wide. Parker and Crawford between them stopped Tarbuck in full flight, and in the next City attack Adams saved finely from Walker. Another long shot from Walker curled wide, and then Leigh turned the ball back to his goalkeeper from fully forty yards. A third attempt to score by Walker flashed well wide of the post when he had a chance to do much better. Exeter at last increased their lead when Mitten neatly fed Crawford, whose long cross-shot from the right went straight into the net. With Exeter now well on top Blain went forward to collect a transfer from Mitten but was pulled up for offside. In the 82nd minute Exeter scored their third goal, and it was easily the best of the match. Again it was Mitten who provided the opening with a perfect pass to the over-lapping Crawford, who rolled the ball back for Corr to take it in his stride and score with a shot which gave Adams no chance.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>