Match 27
13th December 1969
Workington v Exeter City


Saturday December 13th 1969. WORKINGTON 1 EXETER CITY 2.

Exeter City gained their first "away" victory of the season with a deserved 2 - 1 success at wind-swept Workington this afternoon. The smallest crowd of the day (1,342) in the whole of the League saw the Devon side grab two goals in as many minutes from Joe Gadston. Just before the interval Tyrer scored for Workington direct from a corner kick, but the Northerners never looked like drawing level.

Workington: Rogan; Goodfellow, Wilson; Spratt, Spencer, Ogilvie; Todd, Barlow, Massie, Tyrer, Martin. Exeter

City:- Shearing; Crawford, Balson; Morris, Sharples, Parker; Corr, Banks, Gadston, Mitten, Walker.

Subs: Wall (Workington) Wingate (Exeter).

Referee:- Mr R.Hodgson of Durham.

The City grew in confidence as the match progressed, and some sharp, decisive work gave the Workington defence plenty to think about. And Exeter were also keen and determined in defence, with Parker, who was playing with a heavily strapped leg, and Crawford, outstanding. Workington introduced their new signing, at centre-forward for his debut after joining them from Bradford on a free transfer. Desperate for points as they are, Workington attacked from the kick off and Martin was prominent on the left, but his centre was blocked and Wilson following up drove the ball well wide. The sparse crowd had little to enthuse over on a cold and blustery afternoon during the opening exchanges as both sides sparred for an opening. The City were the first to settle down and two good raids developed down the flanks. Wilson broke up the right wing attack, then Balson sent the ball behind when Walker's centre came over from the left. Workington next took up the running, and an astute pass, cleverly flicked on by their new man, Massie, put Barlow through but the inside-right was robbed by Parker.


Exeter were kept on the defensive and conceded three corners in less than five minutes. Shearing had saved the first two but only through putting the ball behind each time. The third one was met by Massie, whose angled shot was fisted out by the over-worked City custodian. Play now began to change ends in entertaining fashion and after a shot from Spratt had cannoned off the side of the upright Gadston at the opposite end tested Rogan with a stunning low drive from a yard inside the penalty area. And it was Gadston who gave Exeter the lead after 29 minutes when he found the net from Parker's pass. His swift ground shot into the left hand corner gave Rogan no chance of saving. Workington were visibly rattled, but worse was to follow for them. Banks raced through with the home defence appealing for offside, and after rounding Rogan the City's Liverpudlian pulled the ball back for Gadston to slide it into the net from "baby-line" range. A minute or two before the interval Shearing gave away a corner with a diving save, but he appeared to be hampered when going for Tyrer's flag kick and the ball carried on the wind floated over his head and into the corner of the net just under the angle. Exeter protested but to no avail. Nothing further was scored after the interval.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>