Match 52
11th April 1970
Aldershot (a)

22nd April 1970
Tiverton Hospital's Cup:-
Tiverton (a)

28th April 1970
Devon Professional Bowl
Torquay United (a)

The Last of Football

Wilson Saves a Penalty but City End Up Beaten

Wednesday April 11th 1970

Aldershot 1 Exeter City 0

The City goalkeeper Bob Wilson will have good reason to remember the final game of the season, at the Recreation Ground, Aldershot. He saved a penalty and was beaten only once, by a header, which gave Howarth, Aldershot's centre-forward, the club record of 104 goals and his side a 1 - 0 victory. 
The penalty was given at the start of the second half when, after consulting a line sman, the referee, Mr. A.Oliver, awarded it for "hands" by Sharples. Melia took the spot kick and side-footed the ball, but Wilson anticipated the move and saved on the goal-line.

Exeter City:- Wilson; Crawford, Balson; Parker, Sharples, Wingate; Corr, Banks, Binney, Giles, Pleat.

Godfrey; Walden, Jopling, Priscott, Dean, Paton; Walton, Brown, Howarth, Melia, Sydenham

Attendance 5,000.

Tiverton v Exeter City
Hospital Cup Final:
("League of Friends")

Wednesday April 22nd.
Tiverton Town 2 Exeter City 7.

For a period of fifteen glorious minutes Tiverton Town led Exeter City in their Cup Charity match for the local Cottage Hospital at Ladysmead. But they soon paid for their impudence as the City stepped up their pace to win in the end by almost a cricket score. Despite having to endure the driving rain which persisted for much of the time, this game was of a high standard and played at a fast pace. Tiverton could easily have added to a 12th minute goal by Gullidge as the makeshift City custodian, Mike Balson, made many mistakes, but the amateur team's forwards did not take their chances.


Two really classy goals from Mitten and one from Gadston gave Exeter a half-time lead, and Pleat (2), Banks (1) and Parker (1) added four more after the change of ends in spite of some professional - class saves from the fifteen years old Mike Franklin in the home team's goal. Gullidge scored the Town's second goal. The City skipper John Mitten was presented with the Cup, which is a very handsome trophy, by the Mayor of Tiverton, Mrs. W. Rooks.

The match raised over £30 for the League of Friends of the Hospital.

TUESDAY 28th APRIL 1970.



Exeter Team
Wilson; Crawford, Balson; Parker, Sharples, Wingate; Blain(Mitten), Banks, Gadston, Binney, Giles,

Scorer: Torquay; Mitchinson,

Exeter City failed to bring the Devon Bowl back to St James Park, Torquay United won the trophy for the first time by scoring the only goal of the game, Exeter might have pushed the match into extra time had they taken a couple of chances in the second half, but in the end Mitchinson's 40th minute goal was enough. Joe Gadston should have equalised in the 56th minute and Fred Binney might have also Bone better on another occasion. Generally Torquay moved better off the ball and 10 minutes from the end Brian Sharples had to clear off theline from Benson. It was a quiet first half but Mitchinson took his goal well. A long ball from Joy was headed on by Rudge and Mitchinson moved quickly around the defence to score.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>