Match 50
7th May 1977
Doncaster Rovers (a)


Doncaster 0
Exeter City 3 Beer (2), Kellow

EXETER CITY clinched promotion with a rip roaring attacking performance which tore the home side apart.

Report by Jim Martin

City have never previously won at Doncaster in 11 games since 1960 - but they had both points wrapped up in this match before the game was half over. Doncaster, the only side to have won at St. James' Park this season, never looked like recording a double. They were never given a chance to settle down by determined Exeter, whose players chased and fought for every ball and got bet- ter and better as the match progressed. Lammie Robertson was outstanding in midfield for City and Alan Beer and Tony Kellow were in devastating form up front, but it was eventually a superb team performance which gave Exeter the points.

Nicky Jennings and Graham Weekes were well off the mark in early Exeter attacks before City settled down to put the home defence under tremendous pressure. Doncaster cracked in the 13th minute when Beer slammed home a superb first time shot to give Exeter the lead, following a probing through ball from John Hore. The ball was rarely out of Doncaster's half after that. Stan Brookes robbed Bob Hodge of possession when he seemed certain to score and Beer got the ball in the net again after. 22 minutes only to have the effort disallowed for a previous infringement. Dennis Peacock performed wonders in the Doncaster goal to keep the scoring down. He twisted backwards to tip out a clever lob shot from Weekes after 34 minutes then brought off an instinctive reflex save from Kellow seconds later. But it was like trying to stop an avalanche, and Peacock had to admit defeat when Kellow headed home following a right wing cross from Beer after 35 minutes.bKellow returned the compliment two minutes later when he sent Beer racing through the middle to make it 3-0 and there was more joy for the jubilant Exeter fans when it was announced that promotion rivals Swansea were losing heavily at half time.

Exeter did not need reminding not to ease up in the second half they had been 3-0 down them- selves at Barnsley in mid- week and had fought back to win the match 4-3. In fact, Kellow almost made it 4-0 with a neat flick in the 65th minute, but the ball hit the crossbar and bounced to safety. There were scenes of jubilation at the finish with scores of Exeter fans crowding in front of the main stand chanting the names of their heroes and refusing to budge until the City players emerged from the dressing room to acknowledge the cheers.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>