Match 08
1st September 2018
Exeter City v Lincoln City

Exeter City lost their first game home since February 17 as Lincoln City recorded a 3-0 win at St James Park.
by Simon Larkins 

The Grecians fell behind in the 42nd-minute when John Akinde’s low cross found Lee Frecklington and then Lincoln’s striker added a second in first-half stoppage time by firing past Christy Pym from 12 yards. 

City boss Matt Taylor made two changes after the break but an own goal from Troy Brown, as he diverted a Harry Toffolo cross into his own net, condemned the Grecians to defeat.

There were a couple of changes to the starting line-up from the City side that played MK Dons last weekend, with Tristan Abrahams coming in for the injured Jonathan Forte and Troy Brown returning from a spell on the sidelines at the expense of Craig Woodman. 

Akinde had the first chance of the game as he sent a header narrowly wide and then Frecklington put a free-kick, in a good position, straight into the wall. 

Tristan Abrahams had City's first effort on goal, from inside the area, but that was blocked by Michael Bostwick and then he hit a volley, following a good knockdown from Brown, straight at Lincoln City keeper Grant Smith.

Pierce Sweeney then sent a dipping shot just over the crossbar, before Lincoln  took the lead as they counter-attacked and worked the ball for Akinde to cross for Frecklington to tap home from close-range. 

Akinde then made it 2-0 five minutes later as he evaded a couple of challenges on the edge of the box before side-footing the ball past Pym from inside the area.

City should have had a route back into the match moments later though when Hiram Boateng was taken down in the area by a late challenge but referee Kevin Johnson turned down the appeals. 

The Grecians sent a couple of early crosses towards Jayden Stockley, from Boateng and Lee Holmes, as they continued to push forward. Then Matt Taylor made a couple of changes introducing Chiedozie Ogbene for his City debut and sending on Lee Martin for Holmes.   

However, the Grecians were dealt another blow in the 57th minute as Harry Toffolo got down the left and crossed looking for Akinde at the back post. Brown tried to intercept the pass but inadvertently put the ball into his own net. 

City continued to push forward in search of a way back into the game but the match became a very stop-start affair at that point and the closest they came was when Stockley headed a cross onto the roof of the net. 

Exeter City: Pym, Sweeney, Martin, Law (Jay, 82), Holmes (Martin, 51), Stockley, Abrahams (Ogbene, 51), Moxey, Taylor, Brown, Boateng. Subs not used: Hamon, Woodman, O'Shea, Tillson.

Lincoln City: Smith, O'Connor, Shackell, Pett, Frecklington, Andrade (Gordon, 83), Toffolo, Boswtick, Eardley, Anderson, Akinde (Rhead, 78)



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>