Match 28
8th December 2018
Bury (a)

Exeter City fell to a 2-0 defeat away from home against Bury in League Two.

Jay O'Shea netted a first half opener for the home side before Jayden Stockley saw his penalty saved in the second period.

As the Grecians looked to level, they then found themselves further behind when Byron Moore scored to take the game away from City.

Manager Matt Taylor made three changes to the side that started the last league outing with Macclesfield Town as Craig Woodman, Aaron Martin and Chiedozie Ogbene came into the starting XI at Gigg Lane.

The Grecians almost went ahead inside two minutes when Ogbene himself received the ball out on the left before tricking his way into the box, but the winger was unable to get a clean effort away as he was crowded out by the Bury defenders.

Jay O’Shea then had an attempt for the home side from a free-kick on the edge of the City box, but a powerful attempt towards goal was kept out by Christy Pym.

Neil Danns then had a shot at goal when Bury broke down the left before the ball was played back to the midfielder, but his effort was well blocked by Nicky Law as the attempt went wide.

City were then let off on 30 minutes when a good Bury move saw the ball crossed from the right by Nicky Adams into the path of Callum McFadzean, but his header at the far post was straight at Pym.

The home side then went in front on 39 minutes when they worked it well on the edge of the City area before the ball found its way to O’Shea, and he curled a left footed effort into the top corner.

A couple of deep free-kicks from the Grecians in the latter moments off the half saw the home side forced to defend their lines, but they took a narrow advantage into the break.

City were given the perfect opportunity to level things on 52 minutes from the penalty spot when Jayden Stockley was brought down by Chris Stokes.

The City striker stepped up to take the spot kick but his low effort to Joe Murphy’s left was kept out by the Bury keeper.

The Grecians had another good chance to draw level when Stockley had an attempt from close range cleared off the line before Jordan Tillson’s follow up effort came off a City player and went behind.

But as City pressed, Bury looked dangerous on the counter-attack and almost doubled their lead through Nicky Maynard, and when he went through, Aaron Martin made a vital sliding challenge to block the attempt.

Stockley would have another chance on 70 minutes when Pierce Sweeney got down the right and crossed to the far post before the striker chested the ball and volleyed over from inside the Bury area.

The Grecians would be made to rue those missed chances when the home side then doubled their lead on 76 minutes when Moore was played through the middle before going around Pym and tapping home.

And that goal seemed to take the sting out of City's attack as the home side defended well and controlled the remaining minutes.

Bury: Murphy, Stokes, Thompson, O’Connell (Aimson, 23), Adams (Miller, 79), Mayor, Moore, McFadzean, O’Shea, Danns, Maynard (Telford, 69)

Subs not used: Hudson, Dagnall, Styles, Lavery

Booked: Danns, Moore, Murphy

Exeter City: Pym, Sweeney, Woodman (Moxey, 59), O’Shea, A. Martin, Tillson (L. Martin, 65), Law, Holmes, Stockley, Ogbene (Forte, 81), Taylor

Subs not used: Hamon, Jay, Collins, Abrahams

Booked: Sweeney, Law, Taylor, A. Martin

Attendance: 3,328 (209, away)


Ben Strange



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>