Match 13
1st October 1955
Watford (a)

Southern League
Dartford (h)

Saturday, October 1st 1955.

(Graham penalty, Hernon) 2
(John 2, Simpson)

Half-time Watford 0 Exeter City 2.

From Worthington's pass John opened the scoring for Exeter City after seven minutes in their match at the Vicarage-road, Watford, today. The Grecians continued on top, and Burke's shot was narrowly tipped over the bar by King. Rees and Murphy were both making their first League appearances of the season and Watford had Hernon for Bowie at inside left.

WATFORD:- King; Bewley, Lock; Shaw, Bateman, Atkinson; Adams, Graham, Cook, Hernon, Marden.
EXETER CITY:- Hunter; Walton, Mitchell; Davey, Harvey, Murphy; Simpson, Worthington, Burke, John, Rees.

After playing sheer brilliant football for quite three quarters of the game the City had to fight desperately to retain the lead. They were leading by 3-0 when the referee, Mr Taylor, of Westbury, who made several mistakes, awarded Watford a penalty for a rather trifling offence, obstruction by Murphy, Graham scored and the City afterwards never fully recovered. With ten minutes still to go Watford scored again, Hernon heading in from Marden's centre.

Southern League 

Dartford forced a corner in the first minute but Winters's weak kick was easily cleared. Then Iggleden worked the ball up the centre, swung it out to Thomas, and Exeter forced two corners in succession.

City Reserves:- Kelly; Foley, Marsh; P. Hitt, Packer, D.Major; Thomas, Ellaway, Sword, Iggleden, D.Hill.
Dartford:- Kirkwood; Barton, Lyons; Reeves, Askew, Cryle; Winters, Gleeson, Reed, Ritchie, Loukes.

Loukes beat Kelly with a shot from what looked like an impossible angle and Sword scored for Exeter from Iggleden's corner kick. Kirkwood, twice injured, had to leave the field in the end, and the goalkeeper's jersey was donned by Lyons. Winters after an hour scored for Dartford although he appeared to be offside, and Thomas beat Lyons with a long shot to equalise.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>