Match 16
22nd October 1955
Northampton (a)

Southern League
Bath City (h)

Saturday, October 22nd 1955.
Northampton v Exeter City 

Back to their old haunts at Northampton today were the City manager, Norman Dodgin, trainer Harry Hanford, and left-half Murphy, all these three having come to Exeter City from the Midlands club. Northampton are the leaders of the Southern Section and have won all seven of the matches they have played at home, and four of those played away. Exeter were unchanged and Murphy captained the team. There was a crowd of 10,805 spectators, the receipts amounting to £1,167.

NORTHAMPTON:- Pickering; Marston, Patterson; Yeoman, Collins, J.Smith;
Mills, E.Smith, Draper, Jones, Fowler.
REFEREE:- Mr. G. W. Pullin, of Bristol.
EXETER CITY:- Hunter; Walton, Mitchell; Davey, Harvey, Murphy; Simpson, Worthington, Burke, John, Buckle.

The City were beaten and beaten easily by Northampton, the leaders of the League, and but for the brilliance of Hunter the score would have risen to a higher figure. Hunter was superb and that is practically the sum total of praise for the City after their worst display of the season. Defensively they were outpaced and outplayed, not one man earning full marks. In attack, the only thing to offer was Burke's effort. Luckily for the City Northampton also had a poor day, although they improved. slightly in the second half, when their goals were scored.
Northampton 3 (Yeoman, E.Smith, Draper)
Exeter City nil.

Southern League

Colin Beer, of the "A" team, who has 17 goals to his credit, led the City Reserves! forward line at St James's Park today against Bath. So far Bath were without a single victory this season, but they broke their duck this afternoon.

City Reserves:- Kelly; Foley, Parr; D.Major, Packer, Marsh; Sword, Iggleden, C.Beer, Bowkett, Rees.
Referee:- Mr G.F.J.Sawyer, of Weston-super-Mare.
Bath City: Liley; Gale, Lockier; McLaren, Onslow, Jenkins; Newman, Watkins, Snook, Gilfillan, Burton.

Right from the start Exeter pegged the visitors back with a series of powerful attacks. Rees flung himself at a deflected pass from Bowkett but his header dropped a few inches wide. Iggleden banged in at least four shots without being able to score. A minute before half-time Kelly was beaten by Watkins's header.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>