10th December 1955
FA Cup 2nd Round
SATURDAY DECEMBER 10TH:
CITY'S BIG CUP WIN.
HENDON VICTIMS OF TWO 3-GOAL BURSTS AT THE PARK.
Fifteen minutes before the kick-off in Exeter City's home F.A.Cup tie against Athenian Leaguers Hendon at St James's Park this afternoon the crowd already looked bigger than at any time this season. Nearly 300 Hendon supporters, many wearing their green and white hats and scarves, swelled the number, and introduced some of the old-time atmosphere associated with cup ties. Mitchell won the toss and Hendon, facing St James's Road, started with a smooth movement on the right, which was halted by Murphy.
Davey Harvey Dunne
Simpson John Iggleden Murphy Rees
Referee:- Mr. S. S. Bean, of Porth.
M.Spector G. Cunningham G.Holden J. Rawlings R.Avis
P.Austin D.Adams L. Topp
Apart from the first half hour, when Hendon played some good, strong, and well co-ordinated football, and the final spell when Exeter City relaxed, there was only one team in it. Exeter did much as they liked, playing some sparkling football. They could have quite easily had half-a-dozen more goals. The City's defence was sound, the half backs constructive, and all the forwards fast and goal-hungry. Two worth special mention were the crafty Murphy and the dashing Rees. The result was sealed by two bursts of three goals, one in each half.
- 18 minutes: Spector (Hendon) a header from a right-wing centre.
- 28 minutes: Simpson (City) ground shot from Murphy's headed pass
- 40 minutes: Rees (City) followed up Iggleden's rebound off crossbar
- 41 minutes: Iggleden (City) header from Simpson's centre.
- 48 minutes: Iggleden (City) solo effort, running through defence.
- 58 minutes: Rees (City) from close range, Simpson's corner headed on
- 70 minutes: Murphy (City) first time shot from Iggleden's centre.
- 82 minutes: Avis (Hendon) long shot as City defence relaxed.