Match 24
17th December 1955
Colchester United (a)

Southern League
Kidderminster Harriers (h)




For the first time since the match at Ipswich two years ago the City were "on the air" today. Cliff Michelmore broadcast the second half of their match at Layer-road with Colchester on the B.B.C. Light Programme. The game started in dull but dry weather. A long ball from Davey in the first minute put Exeter on the attack, Murphy switched it to Iggleden, but Harrison dashed in to touch the ball back to Ames.

COLCHESTER:- Ames; Harrison, Fisher; Fenton, Stewart, Dale; Grice, McLeod, McCurley, Plant, Wright.
EXETER CITY:- Hunter; Parr, Mitchell; Davey, Harvey, Dunne; Simpson, John, Iggleden, Murphy, Rees.

The Exeter attacks broke down and after three minutes Colchester went ahead. A long ball down the middle was headed forward by McCurley, and Plant raced on to it and crashed it past Hunter as he advanced. At half-time Colchester were leading 3-1 and at the end 5-1. The City have had some bad games this season but this was about the worst. The few players who were really trying had an off day. The rest showed no fight to back up their little degree of skill. Colchester were a fast, fighting side, and were brilliantly urged on by Benny Fenton, their player-manager and a former Charlton Athletic star. Exeter's goal was scored by Murphy from Iggleden's pass.

  • TICKETS ON SALE AT ST JAMES'S PARK. The big attraction at St James's Park today was the sale of tickets to see the third round F. A. Cup-tie between the City and Stoke City, on January 7th. There was a fair-sized crowd when ticket sales started at 1 p.m., and all turnstiles were busy towards 2 p.m. when the ground started to fill up with a larger than usual crowd for reserve matches.
Southern League
The City Reserves and Kidderminster Harriers
took the field at 2.30 p.m. before 5,054 spectators, who paid £333. 9s.0d. for admission.

City Reserves:- Kelly; Walton, Doyle; Bowkett, Packer, Houghton; Thomas, Worthington, Ellaway, Whiteside, Buckle.
Kidderminster:- Crowther; Paxton, Smale; Swankie, Haycox, Millington; Punter, McCabe, Handy, Cocum, Knowles.

The wet surface gave the players trouble at the start, but the first progressive move was made by Ellaway, Whiteside, and Buckle for the City until Millington cleared. Worthington and Buckle scored after 16 and 36 minutes respectively and the City Reserves, spurred on by their best crowd of the season, went on to win handsomely. Whiteside, who is now a professional, converted a penalty in 80 minutes and headed a lovely goal a minute from time.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>