Match 49
14th April 1956
Ipswich Town (h)

Southern League
Bedford (a)

Saturday April 14th 1956.


At St James's Park, attendance 5,000.

Half-time 2-2.

This was one of the City's best displays of the season. For over half the game they were without Burke, who after half an hour was hurt in a collision with McMillan, and taken to hospital with a broken collar bone yet they fought magnificently and often had Ipswich in a lot of trouble. In the forward line Exeter's two new players from Plymouth Argyle were disappointing. Thomas and Willis both lacked speed, and "bite."


Take this game every week and you would have the cure for football's vanishing millions. That was how thrilling, how exciting City drew with Ipswich Town, it had every thing, goalmouth escapes, aisses by the width of a coat of paint, furious, fiery attacks and backs to the wall defence, also something that Exeter City could have done without, a fighting, pulsating comeback by Exeter after they had lost Burke with a broken collar bone after 34 minutes, The excitement started in the tenth minute when Blackman headed Ipswich into the lead from what looked like an offside position, Before the protests had died down Burke was racing through, was brought down, Mitchell equalised from the penalty spot, that set the tempo for the rest of the match, Burke was carried off and before he had reached the dressing room tunnel, Buckle had crashed home a free kick from the edge of the penalty area to put City aheadNot for long however, for two minutes later Parker put Ipswich back on terms From there on both sides battled hard, City were magnificent, the ten men ran themselves into a state of exhaustion, defending gallantly and still finding time for the odd attack, This was a great display.

Exeter City:- Hunter; Doyle, Mitchell; John, Harvey, Porteous; K.Thomas, Burke, Iggleden, Willis, Buckle.
Ipswich:- McMillan; Acres, Malcolm; Baker, Rees, Elsworthy; McLuckie, Garneys, Blackman, Parker, Leadbetter.

Referee:- Mr A.W.Smith, of Aldershot.

Attendance 6,607,

Receipts £626,19s.

Southern League 
Bedford v Exeter City Reserves 

On a ground made heavy by several hours' rain Exeter City Reserves at Bedford overcame the handicap more adaptably than the home side, and won by the only goal, Murphy scoring five minutes before half time.

Team:- Kelly; Walton and Foley; Packer, Davey, and Houghton; Simpson, Worthington, Ellaway, Murphy, and Rees.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>