Match 40
20th February 2018
Crewe Alexandra (a)

Exeter City scored two goals in stoppage time to beat Crewe Alexandra 2-1 at the Alexandra Stadium to move back into the play-off places.
By Ben Strange

In a match with little in it, Crewe thought they had won it on 88 minutes when Shaun Miller turned the ball home.

However, captain, Jordan Moore-Taylor fired in to level things a couple of minutes after the 90 before Jayden Stockley was on hand at the far post to send the travelling City fans home delighted when he headed in.

Match Report sponsored by Speedy Freight

Paul Tisdale made five changes to the side that were beaten by Mansfield Town at the weekend with Troy Archibald-Henville, Ryan Harley, Lee Holmes and Hiram Boateng all coming into the starting line-up, as well as Kyle Edwards, who was a late replacement for Jake Taylor who dropped out in the warm up.

City goalkeeper, Christy Pym, was called into action in just the second minute of the match when Paul Green arrived late in the box to shoot straight at the City keeper, who did well to palm the ball away.

Apart from a Stockley shot which was dragged wide from the edge of the box, the Grecians struggled to create in the opening 10 minutes as the home side dominated possession with Pym the busier of the two goalkeepers.

David Artell’s side continued to dominate on the number of shots, even if Pym was rarely tested by the Railwaymen throughout much of the first period.

The Grecians did create a good opening in the 18th minute after winning the ball back in midfield before Stockley found himself with an opportunity to shoot from inside the area, but the forward could only find the hands of Ben Garratt as the hosts cleared.

The even half continued with Crewe looking dangerous in the attacking third but lacking a final ball through to create any clear-cut chances.

The Grecians began to gain more of a foothold on proceedings in Cheshire and had a chance through Ryan Harley just after half an hour. The midfielder’s first time shot from the edge of the box edged just over as the sides went into the break level.

City came out much the better side in the second half and could well have gone in front on more than one occasion in the first 15 minutes after the restart.

A curling cross from Edwards towards the far post saw Stockley just inches from connecting before Boateng darted inside to curl an effort towards the far corner, forcing a terrific stop from goalkeeper, Garratt.

But Crewe did well to absorb the City pressure and defended well as the Grecians struggled to break down what was a resolute defence.

And it was the home side who would take the lead in the 88th minute when Zoumana Bakayogo got down the left to cross low for Shaun Miller to turn the ball in from close range.

But City hit back soon after when they levelled after a corner was kept alive in injury time and Moore-Taylor pounced to fire in left footed.

The Grecians weren’t ready to settle for a point and, in the dying seconds, a Holmes cross towards the far post saw Stockley appear to nod the ball home and win all three points for City.

Crewe Alexandra: Garrat, Ng, Bakayogo, Raynes, Nolan, Ainley, Lowery, Pickering, Green, Miller, McKirdy

Subs not used: Richards, Walker, Bowery, Kirk, Finney, Reilly, Barlaser

Booked: Miller

Exeter City: Pym, Woodman, Archibald-Henville, Tillson, Harley, Holmes, Stockley, Moore-Taylor, Wilson, Edwards, Boateng

Subs not used: Jones, James, Simpson, Jay, Moxey, Brown

Booked: Stockley

Attendance: 3,081 (204, away)



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>