Match 25
15th December 1956
Coventry City (h)

Southern League
Llanelly (a)


Exeter City's new capture, George Lackenby from Newcastle United, made his first appearance for the Grecians today at St James's Park. It is a coincidence that his new club's ground bears the same name as that of his former one, so that at least will not be strange to him. And what a day the new man had for his debut. Rain, hail, and blustery winds made the pitch muddy and conditions thoroughly unpleasant. The attendance was small, just over 4,000 turning out.

Hunter Doyle Ferrier Lackenby Harvey Porteous Thomas Houghton John Currie Buckle

Referee:- Mr R.E.Smith of Newport.

Ferguson Walton McPherson Uphill Johnson
Meadows Jones Proverbs
Kirk Timmins

The Coventry City manager is Harry Warren, who spent one season before
the war as a centre-half with Exeter City. He had completely shuffled his team about, with several players in unaccustomed positions, and he had hoped to have signed two Second Division wingers in time for the game at Exeter, but could not.

Considering the state of the pitch and the vile weather conditions the game at St James's Park today was a magnificent one. And it was full of thrills and interest until the final minute when Keith Harvey's second successful penalty kick made the City certain of the two points which they deserved. On a greasy quagmire the City managed to play some very good football, and so did Coventry in the first half. But with the wind in Exeter's favour after the interval Coventry had no answer to so many attacks. The City most surely had made certain of the points long before the end, but John and Buckle between them made some amazing misses. The newcomer, George Lackenby, showed up very well both in attack and defence, and did enough to show that on a better pitch he is likely to be an asset. As well as height, weight, and strength, he is endowed with natural football skill and a sound positional sense, and it is likely that he will soon be prompting many Exeter attacks. At half-time the sides were level, Johnson's goal for Coventry in the 27th minute being nullified by one by Thomas just afterwards. Harvey then scored from the penalty spot after Kirk had punched out a centre from Burke, but within a minute Ferrier sliced the ball into his own net from Ferguson. Ten minutes after half-time Houghton headed past Bentley to give Exeter the lead, and almost on time Harvey slammed in his second penalty after John had been tripped in the area.

Southern League

Llanelly 0 City Reserves 1: Llanelly kicked off and despite the fact that the pitch was like a sea of mud produced some neat football. Scrine, Howells, and James all put in shots which Bell only managed to divert with some difficulty. Llanelly:- Gwynn; Muir, B.Davies; Loftus, Montgomery, W.Davies; Evans, Scrine, James, Howells, Howell.
Exeter City Res:- Bell; Bowkett, Mitchell; Packer, Madeley, Phoenix; Simpson, Rees, Beer, Jenkins, Stenner.
Referee:- Mr H.Williams of Hirwaun.

Llanelly, who are bottom of the League, were easily the better team before the interval, with Montgomery, formerly of Cardiff City, and who only joined his present side from Newport last month, a veritable tower of strength at centre-half. Exeter started the second half on the attack, and Jenkins worked his way through and brought Gwynn to his knees with a tremendous drive. Beer, whose shot had earlier cannoned off a post, scored for Exeter near the end, and this was sufficient to earn both points.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>