Match 52
30th April 1958
Devon Professional Championship Final
Torquay United v Exeter City

And in the Southern League
3rd May 1958
Chelmsford v Exeter City Reserves



A fire broke out in the main grandstand at Plainmoor after the Devon Professional Cup Final there on Wednesday April 30th, Torquay having beaten Exeter City by 3 goals to nil to win the Cup. The fire started in the boiler room next to the visitors' dressing room and was well alight by the time it was noticed. The manager of Torquay United, Mr. Eric Webber, trainers David Pryde and H.Dellow, vice-chairman Mr. John Farrell, and several supporters, made a chain from the dressing-room baths to the stand, and by the time the Fire Brigade arrived the fire was under control. All Torquay's spare kit, track-suits, and a lot of other equipment in the dressing-rooms, valued at about £500, was lost. The visitors' dressing-room will probably have to be broken down and rebuilt.

As regards the football it was not a very interesting final tie, and the City suffered another injury.


MacDonald, who has had his share of misfortune in the past, injured his left ankle in a tackle with Mills in the 16th minute, and spent the rest of the match on the left wing before going off the field for good before the end.

TORQUAY:- Wakeham; Bettany, H.Smith; Lewis, G. Northcott, Collins; Bond, T.Northcott, Baxter, Mills, Pym. CITY:- Hunter; Foley, MacDonald; Butterworth, Harvey, Mitchell; Robinson, Hill, Rapley, Churms, Rees.

Not until four minutes after half-time did Torquay go ahead, through Mills, who slammed in a first-time drive from Bond's centre. The City made several chances, and missed them all, as they played as well as Torquay, but in the 76th minute T.Northcott scored the second goal from a penalty after Foley had brought down Pym. Almost on time T.Northcott ran through to hit the third goal into the bottom corner of the net. Attendance 2,235.

Southern League 
3rd May 1958
Chelmsford v Exeter City Reserves 

The last of football for this season was played on May 3rd by Exeter City Reserves, who were beaten 1-0 by Chelmsford at Chelmsford.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>