Match 09
19th September 1959
Notts County (a)

South Western League
Camelford (a)



Smith; Butler, Noon; Sheridan, Rawson, Carver; Roby, Horobin, Newsham, Forrest, Withers.

Jones; Foley, MacDonald; Mitchell, Oliver, Thompson; Stiffle, Birch, Calland, Micklewright, Rees,

Scorers County Forrest, Roby, Horobin, Attendance 11,982

Referee Mr L.J.Harmer of Chorley.

Notts County opened at a furious pace and were beating City by sheer speed, Exeter tried to fight back but were feeble by comparison and inside 15 minutes Notts were two up. In the 14th minute Forrest scored as Mitchell's headed clearance was pushed to him through a crowd of players. Within a minute Roby dribbled round MacDonald and Oliver and pulled the ball back for Horobin to easily score,

For the rest of the half, it was the same old story as far as City were concerned, They had as much of the midfield play as County, but they could not finish, Again Stiffle was City's most effective attacker but again there was no one inside to take chances., was City who were doing all the cutting and it probing. There was no doubt about it, had Exeter had a goal scoring forward they could have saved a point, as it was with a minute to go Roby made it 3-0 as a shot was defelcted out to him,

Match Summary.
Exeter City were two goals down in the first quarter of an hour and the score remained thus until the very last minute. Then a slip by the defence gave Notts another goal. In the first half the City were too slow, and their backs' lack of speed cost them the goals. But they always tried to play football, and with a bit of luck could have saved a point in the second half.

South Western League 

Camelford 0, Exeter City 5

In contrast to the quick moving and accurate passing of the Visitors, Camelford relied too much on individual efforts and lacked understanding. In the early stages, a good re- covery by Exeter centre-half, Packer, after a defensive slip, prevented R Burnett from breaking through the middle. Then from a well-placed corner, R. Boundy only just failed with a good header. At the other end, two good efforts by Pulman were well saved by Hicks. Play swung from end to end during the first 30 minutes. Exeter attacked strongly, and two good shots by Williams were pushed round the upright and over the bar by Hicks. Then a shot by Pulman was deflected into the Camelford goal to open Exeter's score. After Hicks saved a penalty taken by Pulman. L. Burnett scored two quick goals to give Exeter a three-goal lead at the interval

Pulman increased Exeter's score soon after the restart, and Rackley completed the scoring from a penalty, Lovegrove, in the Exeter goal, did well to turn a drive by Martin round the post for a corner and Cleave broke up a dangerous Exeter attack with a good tackle. A good effort by L. Boundy just failed in the closing stages of the game. Hambly broke away for Camelford, but was brought down on the edge of the penalty area. Camelford failed to take advantage of the free-kick, which was blocked by the Exeter defence.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>