Match 17
1st November 2008
Chester City (H)

4th November 2008 Football Combination
Yeovil Town (h)

Exeter City 2 Chester FC 0. L2.

Saturday 1 November 2008
Referee: Steven Cook

Att: 4,448 with 143 away fans

BBC Match report –

Exeter recovered from a midweek mauling at Chesterfield to comfortably beat Chester at St James' Park.

Adam Stansfield rounded off a fine Exeter move, steering Marcus Stewart's cross home from close-range.

Keeper Paul Jones pulled off a superb save from Kevin Ellison to ensure Exeter went in ahead at half time.

Matt Taylor sealed the points for Exeter two minutes from time with a thumping header from Rob Edwards' pinpoint cross.

Exeter: Jones, Tully, Seaborne, Taylor, Moxey, Logan (Obersteller 72), Cozic, Edwards, Gill, Stewart, Stansfield (Watson 86).

Subs Not Used: Marriott, Harley, Basham.

Goals: Stansfield 22, Taylor 88.

Chester: Danby, James Vaughan, Linwood (Kelly 62), Roberts, Barry, Harris, Mozika, Hughes, Ellison, Johnson, Lowe.
Subs Not Used: Simon Williams, McManus, Rutherford, Mitchell.

Booked: Roberts, Harris, Hughes.

Att: 4,448

Referee: Steven Cook (Surrey).

Tuesday 4th November 2008 Football Combination

Exeter City 3 Yeovil Town 2

strong Exeter team started the better of the two sides and Ryan Harley, who played the full 90 minutes, teed up Basham for the game's first chanceHis shot was easily held by trialist Yeovil goalkeeper Jamie Waite. The best chance of the first half came when Jack Obersteller's poor throw to his "keeper was sliced into the air by Jordan and landed straight at the feet of Odhiambo, However, he contrived to sky high with a gaping goal at his mercy. City almost went in front when Ben Watson latched on to Craig McAllister's flick and found Basham. He laid the ball into the path of Harley, who struck a post from 15 yards. The breakthrough finally came when Shephard won the ball in midfield and ran forward before slipping the ball into the path of Basham. He smashed it first time hard and low across goal and into the bottom corner from 18 yards. The experienced striker sent Watson racing clear moments later and he was hauled down by Waite for a clear penalty. Watson took the kick himself, but was denied by Waite, sprawling to his night. It was brief respite, as Basham scored seconds later, rising to meet Harley's out swinging comer with a firm header, but Yeovil pulled one back shortly before half-time when Downes crossed low into the box and Leicester striker Odhiambo applied the finish. Odhiambo levelled things up straight after the re-start when he again converted from a Downes cross, but the Grecians had the last laugh when Sercombe, Basham and the returning Nell Saunders combined superbly down the right and Sercombe's shot from Watson's cross took a wicked deflection before nesting in the corner.

Exeter City: Jordan, Basham (Humphries, 86), Murray, Sercombe, Shephard. Bull, Harley, Osman (Saunders, 45), Watson, McAllister, Obersteller.

Exeter City 3 Yeovil Town 2



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>