Match 16
October 22nd 1966
Lincoln (a)

Western League
Barnstaple (h)

Lincoln v City



LINCOLN CITY 1. Tennant; Brooks, Pilgrim; Holmes, Loxley, Grummett; Anderson, Scott, Bonson, Chapman, Godbold,

EXETER CITY 1. Jones; Embery, Ley (Blain), Wilkinson, Harford, Thompson; Godfrey, Keeley, Elliott, McNeil, Kennedy,

Lincoln: Chapman,
Exeter Godfrey.
Attendance; 2,894,

Exeter City are still looking for their first away win of the season in the Football League. It seemed as if they would get it at Lincoln after taking the lead in the 21st minute, but the home side equalised five minutes from full time, It must be said however, that City deserved no more than a point for after they scored the defence was under constant pressure. Despite this it looked as if City would hang on, but it was not to be, Ken Thompson almost volleyed City into the lead with a fine 25 yard effort but Tennant made an equally fine save. Both sides were having their share of attacking play but after 21 minutes Exeter took the lead, Ray Elliott's shot was partially blocked and Peter Godfrey moved into head it in from close range, Lincoln launched an all out attack and City's defence had to work overtime. Lincoln still kept attacking in the second half. They had a strong penalty appeal turned down, and as the game wore on, it seemed that the City were dealing more confidently with the home forwards. 'Then with five minutes remaining, Lincoln got on level terms, Chapman nodding the ball past Ken Jones,

Match Summary 
Exeter City are still looking for their first away win of the season. It seemed as if they would get it at Lincoln, having taken the lead in the 21st minute. But Lincoln City's equaliser came five minutes from time. Lincoln deserved at least a point from this game, for after the City had scored their defence was constantly under pressure. Despite this they looked as if they would hang on. But then with just five minutes to go the ball came over from the Lincoln left and there was Chapman in exactly the right position to nod it past Jones. Both sides in the first half had their share of attacking play and it was generally Lincoln who looked the more likely to score. But Exeter took the lead when McNeil headed the ball on to Elliott, who shot hard but straight at Tennant. The goalkeeper dropped the shot, however, and Godfrey nipped in to head home from close range. 


Exeter City Reserves 0 Barnstaple Town 1.

Smout; Goad, Nash; Mustard, Balson, Buckingham; Stuckey, Baglow, McLean; West, Smith
Davies Pope, Mock, Hancock, Rossiter, Hanford; Barnes, Fewings, Ley, Edmunds, Irons

The City had a good share of the play but lacked the finishing strength to turn their superiority into goals. Later on the visitors took over and managed to get the dinning goal. It was however, a very disappointing performance by Exeter. Ley scored the winning goal for Barnstaple in the 70th minute when he found himself totally unmarked in front of City's goal.


Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>