Match 08
4th October 2015
FA Women’s Premier League Plate
Norwich City LFC (home)

Exeter City Ladies 1-2 Norwich City LFC

4th October 2015

THE GRECIANS are out of the FA Women’s Premier League Plate after a disappointing 2-1 defeat to Norwich City LFC.

City went behind after ten minutes. A run down the left by a Norwich City winger wasn’t closed down, and she was allowed to put a cross into the box which was knocked past City’s stand-in goalkeeper Max Coupe. 

The game was quiet for the next ten or so minutes, with both teams playing some good football in the middle of the park. Kirsty Caunter and Soph Currie harried the Norwich midfielders into making mistakes, with Caunter putting a great ball through for Kukor to run on to. Her pace beat the Norwich defence and left her one on one with the goalie, only to see the keeper make a great save. 

The chances then came thick and fast for City. Just two minutes later, a brilliant ball over the top by hard-working winger Paige Longworth put Barter one-on-one, but again the Norwich keeper smothered her attempt. Kukor then had another opportunity to put the ball in the back of the net after a long ball bounced over the defenders’ heads; this time she obliged and smashed the ball past the goalkeeper, only to have it ruled out for offside. 

Norwich then had a one-on-one with Coupe, but she got down well to save. Six minutes later City’s hard work finally paid off. A great bit of skill by Barter allowed her to play a one-two with Kukor. Barter calmly passed the ball into the bottom left corner. 

City had another chance on the stroke of half-time. A corner was whipped in by Caunter from the left and flicked on by Kukor at the near-post. Industrious right back Corrine Potts was there to meet the flick-on with a cracking header, only to see it rebound off of the crossbar and cleared by the Norwich defence. 

It was a slightly more subdued second half. The first clear chance came just after the hour mark. Kukor was clattered in the penalty area by a Norwich defender, before the ball ended up with Vic Barter, who again put the ball in the back of the net. The goal was ruled out and a free kick awarded to Norwich for a foul by Kukor even despite the City protests. 

Norwich struggled to break through the City backline, and some last-ditch tackles and great clearances by the defenders meant that the strikers were kept at bay for much of the second half. Max Coupe made another great save on sixty-eight minutes after some great play by the Norwich defender. 

With the game still at 1-1 and heading to extra time, it was then that Norwich got the winner. A great run by their energetic winger down the left, was followed by a shot that just eluded Coupe. The game finished 2-1 to the visitors. 

The Grecians will look back on the game with disappointment. They dominated for most of the game, but will rue their missed chances. 



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>