Match 10
2nd October 1990
Huddersfield Town (away)


A disappointing night at Leeds Road saw City spending much of the game encamped in their own half, and at one time looking as if they might even return to East Devon with a draw.

The first real save of the match was made in the third minute by Huddersfield's Steve Hardwick, who did well to hold on to Gordon Hobson's near post flick from a Brian McDermott corner. However, the home side's lively midfield dominated the game, and there seemed to be a never ending barrage of attacks for City's over worked defence to deal with.

Keith Edwards and Gary Barnett should both have done better when put clear by well timed through balls, but Edwards scuffed his shot wide and Kevin Miller did well to deny Barnett. Huddersfield's wide men supplied a string of crosses, but most were dealt with comfortably by the City defence or the in-form Miller.

The story may well have been radically different had the luck gone City's way in the 30th minute. Another McDermott corner was met by a seemingly goalbound Shaun Taylor header, which hit the crossbar and bounced onto the goal-line before a Huddersfield defender intervened to hit the ball to safety.

The remainder of the half was marked by some wayward Huddersfield finishing. with Keith Edwards and £300,000 Summer buy Iwan Roberts both guilty of wasting good chances.

The start of the second half saw the arrival of City's Richard Young and Huddersfield's crowd favourite Iffy Onuora, but the story of Huddersfield attacking without taking their chances stayed the same. Kevin Miller made a number of fine saves, with one particularly memorable stop coming from a fiercely driven cross which Edwards looked to have diverted from close range under the City keeper before Miller instinctively dropped on the ball to prevent a certain goal.

However, City's luck didn't hold, and when Richard Dryden's clearance was charged down in the 67th minute by Onuora, the Town substitute kept his composure to slide the ball home for the game's only goal.

City showed good spirit to force themselves back into the match, and with Richard Young having broken free on a couple of occasions and several dangerous corners and free-kicks late on creating problems for the Huddersfield defence, the home fans preempted the final whistle with some nervous whistling of their own.

Nonetheless it was a disappointing night for the City support, and the long journey home was spent contemplating another costly defensive error and another 1-0 defeat.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>