Match 08
22nd September 1990
AFC Bournemouth (home)



City's second home win of the season was by the same margin, but a little more hard fought, than our 2-0 win over Swansea two weeks earlier. The result came by virtue of two goals from Richard Dryden, some hard work in defence and midfield, and some sloppy finishing from the Bournemouth attack.

The Exeter team line-up contained a few surprises for the big 6,145 crowd, with Gordon Hobson, unavailable due to illness during the week, being replaced at number seven by Richard Young, and Paul Eshelby given a late call up for a place on the bench.

For much of the first half, Bournemouth, relegated only last season from Division Two, looked the more dangerous of the two sides in attack. George Lawrence had a shot well saved by Kevin Miller, Luther Blissett sent a couple of promising chances wide of the goal or over the bar and big striker Trevor Aylott always looked dangerous from crosses into the City box.

However, the Exeter defence did what was asked of them in keeping the scores level - and it was indeed a defender who gave City their 33rd minute lead. The same combination which had earned City the point at Birmingham did the trick again, with Brian McDermott's inch perfect cross being crashed home by the head of this season's surprise goal hero Richard Dryden.

Bournemouth, who to their credit had always looked to attack, came storming back in search of a quick reply. They nearly got their reward following a goalmouth scramble from an in swinging corner, but City weathered the storm and came away to extend their lead through Richard Dryden's fifth goal of the season.

It has become common for Dryden's goals to be described by both Richard and his manager as having hit him on the head Fortunately, no such description could be used for his 41st minute strike, a twenty-five yard drive following a surging run from midfield, which keeper Guthrie could only help on its way into the net.

The second half saw poor Bournemouth still pressing forward in hope of saving the game, but City were very much in the driving seat and in no mood to give anything away A well struck long range effort from Mark Cooper brought a good save from Peter Guthrie, a goalbound Richard Young shot from a Clive Whitehead cross was blocked by Kevin Bond, and Richard Dryden hit the ball straight at the keeper when a remarkable hat-trick beckoned. At the other end Kevin Miller saved well from a Luthar Blissett drive and Trevor Aylott should have pulled one back when left in yards of space, but Miller again came to City's rescue.

A third goal for City could easily have come from the penalty spot, but City saw two confident appeals after Taylor had been held down at a corner and Neville felled by a clumsy tackle inside the box-waved away by Cornish referee Martin Bodenham.

In injury time, Richard Young, who had done well to last the full ninety minutes, was replaced by Paul Eshelby, for the Yorkshireman's first taste of Third Division action. Eshelby quickly made his presence felt with a determined run into the box, but unfortunately his shot from a tight angle nestled in the side netting

Another very satisfactory performance for City, and a result which lifts us into fifth place in the table. Now, if we win 2-0 again today, with Southend, Birmingham and Tranmere all drawing, AND Grimsby losing by three clear goals.

Match Report 2

Exeter City 2 AFC Bournemouth 0

Attendance: 6,145

Richard Dryden's developing talent for scoring goals put Exeter City firmly among the Third Division front runnersThe 21-year-old defender took his tally for the season to five as City maintained the momentum that won them the Fourth Division Championship. Once the City defence had got to grips with the considerable aerial threat of Trevor Aylott and taken tighter control of England striker, Luther Blissett, there was little that Bournemouth had to hurt them with in front of the biggest crowd of the season so far. It was slightly against the run of play that City took the lead in the 31st minute when Brian McDermott delivered another quality cross from a free-kick and Dryden rose to send an unstoppable header past Guthrie. Dryden struck again in the 41st minute when he beat two players and lashed the ball toward goal and despite the best efforts of Guthrie, it squirmed away from him into the net. City took care not to let their natural enthusiasm for attack get the better of then after the break. They defended sensibly and guarded well against getting caught on the break. but they still had enough pressure to have increased their victory margin.

Exeter City team:
Miller, Hiley, Dryden, Rogers, TaylorCooperYoung (Eshelby), Bailey, McDermott, Neville, Whitehead.

Bournemouth team:
Guthrie, Mundee, Coleman, Teale, O'Driscoll, Bonds, Lawrence (Ekoku), PeacockAylott, HolmesBlissett.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>