Match 14
23rd October 1990
Southend United (away)



Southend took over from today's visitors Grimsby at the top of the Third Division table after their 2-1 victory over luckless City, who to add to Tarry Cooper's problems, had last week's signing Gary Marshall stretchered off two minutes from time

The match started in dramatic fashion, with both sides having found the net inside the first eight minutes t was Southend who took the lead, when a cross from the right fell to Steve Powell just inside the area, and he sport low and hard beyond Kevin Miller to put his side in front aber seven minutes

However, City replied in the best possible way, with skipper Shaun Taylor netting his first goal of the season only fifty seconds later to bring his side back on level terms. Tom Kelly swung free-kick in from the right and Taylor produced a power downward header so leave Southend keeper Sansome stranded

The home side enjoyed the majority of first-half possession, with Kevin Miller diving to his left to turn Butler's powerful volley around the post, and later saving his side by blocking efforts from first Soeve Tilson and then former Cky player lan Benjamin

City began to force the pace in the second hall, and Southend's reliance on high balls sent in for Benjamin and Summer signing Brees Angell brought them no joy against the ever reliable Taylor and Rogers partnership at

the centre of City's defence. Exeter's three man attack of Neville, Hobson and Marshall on the other hand made intelligent use of the opportunities which came their way, although the two best efforts on goal came from wenty yard shots by midfielders Mark Cooper and Tom Kelly.

With twelve minutes remaining and the game seemingly heading for a draw, lan Benjamin's cleverly fighed shot gave Southend the lead and all three points. Benjamin received the ball on the edge of the City area, and having made space for himself he curled the ball past the stranded Miller into the corner of the net-his winning goal incidentally, coming in the same minute as Darran Rowbotham's second in City's much recalled 2-1 win at Roots Hall last December

City fought gallantly to grab a late equaliser, with Mark Cooper again getting up amongst the front men to hit one shot wide, curia free-kick over the ber, hit a good effort at the keeper and narrowly also apply the finishing touches after substitute Paul Exhalby had shredded the Southend defence with his first contribution to the game.

Alas, it was all to no avail with City's disappointment further heightened by the late injury to Gary Marshall Terry Cooper later admitted that it was a bettle and think we did enough to deserve a point, but always had a feeling that we weren't going to see it through". Aber the glory of last season, and the success enjoyed at the start of this campaign, that feelings becoming just a little too common for comfort as far as City's loyal supporters are concerned!



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>