Match 23
15th December 1990
Bury (away)


Having finally broken our spell of League games without a win by beating Stoke, hopes were high that City could continue the revival by putting an end to our record of five consecutive away defeats. Unfortunately, a lack lustre first half performance cost City dearly against a bright Bury side, and that unwanted run of away defeats was stretched to six

Kevin Miller started the game between the posts for City. although reserve Steve Berryman was named as one of the Exeter substitutes in case the cyst on Miller's leg forced him to come off. Bury certainly gave the City keeper no chance to settle in gently, with a flurry of early attacking winning several corners and forcing him into a string of alert stops.

The City defence were always at full stretch, and only excellent tackles by Richard Dryden and the unflappable Peter Cawley prevented the Grecians goal from more direct challenges. At the other end Trevor Morgan and Steve Neville kept battling away with what service they got, although Gary Marshall and on loan debutante Gor don Owen wasted two good chances to cross after creating good opportunities for themselves on the wings.

But Bury always seemed the more likely side to break the deadlock, and indeed it was the homesters who went into a 34th lead when Lee beat Dryden on the right, and his centre was powerfully headed home by Mauge.

Only six minutes later Bury made it two, with a fine move involving Parkinson and Robinson resulting in David Lee sprinting through and coolly chipping the advancing Miler.

However, City were not ready to give up yet, with Gary Marshall finding Trevor Morgan arriving at the far post. and the City striker finishing expertly with a firm header. Shortly afterwards the half-time whistle sounded, and Terry Cooper may have been relieved to be giving the team talk at the interval with his side only one goal behind

In fact, whatever was said in the dressing room had the desired effect, as City stamped their authority on the game for the next half an hour. Winning several corners and looking a lot more competitive in midfield, Exeter pushed forward in search of an equaliser, with Gordon Owen coming closest to leveling the scores shooting whilst clean through only to see his effort blocked by Bury keeper Kelly

Gary Marshall, Steve Neville and Gordon Owen all found themselves with time to cross having got behind the full backs, but on each occasion the home side's defence got back well to snuff out che threat from target man Morgan

David Lee had a good opportunity to renew his side's two goal lead with a carbon copy of the second goal, but this time he hurried his shot and skied the ball into the crowd behind the goal. There then followed something of a fracas in midfield, with Bury's Patterson booked for aiming the ball at the grounded Taylor and then Mark Cooper cautioned following a foul of Tony Cunningham

With time running out, and City's hopes of drawing level fading Valentine ensured his side's victory by drilling Lee's low cross past Miller and into the back of the net. The third neat and well worked goal which, for all of City's hard work and endeavour, was enough to give Bury a deserved victory



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>