Match 05
8th September 1990
Swansea City (h)



City returned to winning ways at the Park with a performance which reminded many of the Fourth Division championship glory days of last season. Admittedly, Swansea's acquiescent style and the sending off of their left-back Chris Coleman made life a good deal easier for the Grecians, but nonetheless it was encouraging and enjoyable coast home in such an emphatic manner.

It was particularly pleasing to see Brian McDermott, back in the side in place of Paul Batty, looking a real threat to the visitors' defence. It was through McDermott, and Clive Whitehead on the left, that most of City's early attacks were orchestrated, but disappointing shooting and a lack of height up front prevented Swansea's defence from suffering too many worrying moments.

The goalscoring chances became a good deal more clear-cut as the game went on, with a fine save from keeper Bracey denying Steve Neville, and two good opportunities sent sailing over the bar by Neville and Shaun Taylor. Swansea too were guilty of lacklustre finishing, with the persistent Jimmy Gilligan shooting straight at Kevin Miller from twenty five yards out after being sent clean through, and twice thumping spectacular efforts way off target from inside the box.

After both sides had seen very strong penalty appeals turned down, following Raynor's clumsy challenge on Whitehead and Lee Rogers apparent use of the hand whilst clearing in his own area, the game settled into an entertaining end to end rhythm. However, after 39 minutes, City finally broke the deadlock. Good work from McDermott on the right led to a Swansea clearance deflecting off Richard Dryden into the path of Steve Neville, who finished sweetly with a perfectly judged left foot shot just inside the far post. started the second-half brightly, but with Kevin Miller in confident mood claiming several dangerous crosses therewas little joy for their three man attack, and the sending off of Chris Coleman after 53 minutes, following a shin high challenge on the classy Scott Hiley. only served to make City's task easier.

In fact, on the hour Gilligan wasted Swansea's best- and pretty much last-goalscoring chance, stooping to head over when an equaliser looked a real threat. From that point onwards, however, it was all City, with goal number two coming in the 65th minute. Paul Raynor again fouled Clive Whitehead in the box, and this time the referee awarded a penalty, which Gordon Hobson confidently struck home for his second goal at the Park.

Twenty minutes from time, the swashbuckling Richard Young was brought on for his first action of the season, replacing Clive Whitehead who, after another impressive display. had taken a knock in the penalty incident. There were fine efforts from just outside the area, first from Richard Dryden and then, after a Young knock down, a searing volley from Brian McDermott grazed the Swansea bar, as City pushed forward in search of a third goal.

It could well have come two minutes from the end, when a Brian McDermott header from point blank range brought a spectacular one handed save from Swansea's promising young keeper Lee Bracey. However, an entertaining 2-0 win took City into eighth place in the table, and sent most of the 4,712 crowd home happy



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>