Match 18
13th November 1990
Leyland DAF (Football League Trophy)
Cardiff City (away)



A crowd of barely one thousand saw City begin their Leyland Daf challenge with a 1-0 win at Ninian Park. City's new signing Trevor Morgan made his first appearance in his second spell with Exeter only eight hours after his flight from Hong Kong via London had touched down in Devon.

Morgan's presence looked to add some steel to the City attack, and with Gordon Hobson looking lively on the right wing and Steve Neville buzzing about up front, Cardiff's defence had quite a lot to deal with in the opening stages.

A cross from Scott Hiley allowed Morgan to get in an early shot and Cardiff keeper Roger Hansbury had to be sharp to keep out shots from Hiley and Danny Bailey. However, it was Bailey who gave City the lead in the 16th minutes, with Tom Kelly sending a free-kick into the goalmouth, and Danny Bailey latching on to a rebound off the post to confidently fire home.

Cardiff were never allowed to trouble the City defence, with Kevin Miller a virtual spectator throughout the first half save for the occasional back pass. The Fourth Division sides highly rated front two of Pike and Griffith were not given a chance to show their skill, and it must have been a frustrating night for the hardy few who braved the rain only to see the game dominated by the visiting team.

Exeter's supporters, on the other hand, seemed perfectly happy with the events before them, and they were in fine voice as their continual singing echoed around the near empty ground. In truth though there was little to get excited about in a comfortable second half for City, and for all of the invention of Steve Neville and Gordon Hobson, the best goalscoring chance came from a Shaun Taylor header at the far post which went inches wide.

Although Terry Cooper admitted his disappointment at the second half performance, he did concede that, in his own words, "we've won a game and that's important".



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>