Match 41
13th March 1991
Huddersfield (h)



For the second time in a matter of days City faced a leading Third Division side at St. James' Park. For the second time they had the upper hand but this time failed to collect the three points they should have bagged.

With just 12 minutes remaining City lead 2-0 but a lack of concentration and control cost them the victory and Hud dersfield also had a player sent off in the eventful last section of the match.

The start was somewhat slow for City, in fact the entire first half was a little dull. Iwan Roberts clipped a post for Huddersfield and Richard Dryden and Murray Jones pro duced a great double save from Steve Hardwick the visitors experienced goalkeeper. it was just before the break when the stranglehold was broken and this time Hardwick thwarted Shaun Taylor.

Scott Hiley tested the 'keeper again with a fabulous run and shot at the start of the second half, his response was a spectacular save. However, Hardwick must take a good deal of blame for City's opening goal after 53 minutes. Jones, Steve Neville and Gordon Hobson were all involved in the build up and Gary Marshall produced a fine run and cross for Mark Cooper to hit a shot from 25 yards. The goalkeeper seemed to have the ball covered but it escaped his grasp and seemed to enter the net eventually off of his head.

Neville increased the lead 10 minutes later scoring in typical fashion as he nipped in to intercept a back pass. That is that we all thought. Wrong! Dryden lost possession and the cross from substitute Gary Barnett reached Garry Haylock whose shot took a huge deflection off Roberts to wrong foot Miller and end up in the net.

Neville broke clear for City immediately and was stopped five yards outside the box by a reckless challenge from Simon Charlton. Referee Roger Milford, who performed to the high standard that has been awarded with the handling of the F.A. Cup Final, had no option but to send Charlton off. Cooper hit the free kick over the bar.

Three points looked certain as Marshall squandered an other chance in the 86th minute. Two minutes later Haylock achieved what seemed unthinkable when, with the bonus of yards of free space, he placed a shot past Miller after Gordon Hobson had lost possession.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>