Match 39
20th March 1972
Barrow (away)

20th March 1972
Barrow v Exeter 



WITH the foot-of-the-table position too open to be comfortableany points Exeter City can capture are most welcome. But their point from the goalless draw at Barrow last night could quite easily have been doubled. The man who must feel worst about it is Fred Binney. He had enough opportunities to see Exeter well on their way to victory. He was unlucky when he sent in the first-half shot which rapped goalkeeper Harry Thom- son's outstretched leg-but he had only himself to blame for not cashing in on a chance provided early in the second half. John Wingate set it up with a cross which Joe Gadston let run through his legs to the waiting Binney, but the inside-forward lifted the ball over the bar. Binney, who finished a miserable night by being booked for his persistant challenging of Thomson, was unfortunate when he smartly beat Noble only to be checked by a last-ditch tockle by Harrison. Yet he drove over the bar from a chance set up by Steve Stacey. In fact, Stacey was the man who had a hand in most of Exeter's penetrative moves. And when he chased a well- judged pass from Wingate, he was unlucky to see the referee wave play on when a desperate Harrison lunge from behind upended him just inside the box There was an even closer shave for Barrow when Steve Morris sent in a curling corner which Thomson punched from just under the bar. Morris proved quite a handful, and it was Exeter's loss when he had to go off injured after 40 minutes and was replaced by Banks. What skilful play there was. and there was precious little, ceme from Exeter, but they were nearly made to pay for their earlier misses when Barrow staged a rally in the final 20 minutes. Bob Wilson was beaten by a Russell volley, but Campbell Crawford was on the line to breast down and clear. When the Barrow skipper powered through again, Wilson pulled off a good save to turn the shot for a corner. Excellent as the save was, it did not match the one Thomson had to pull off to stop a scorching late effort from Wingate.

Thomson; Клох. Storf, Clarke, Noble, Russell. Garbett, Calvert, Rowlands. Harrison, Hollis. Sub.: Hughes

Exeter City:
Wilson, Crawford Blain, Stacey, Giles (Jimmy), Balson, Morris. Binney, Gadston, Wingate, Gibson Sub Banks.

Referee. A Morrissey (Bramhall Cheshire).

Attendance: 2.153.

from the EXPRESS & ECHO
Tuesday March 21st 1972.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>