Hopes and Expectations



Gerald Vallance has returned to the Board of Directors of Exeter City Football Club as chairman, and at last night's meeting he had a message for supporters. "Forget the squabbles of the past and let us concentrate on getting a promotion side together for next season."
Following the meeting the Exeter City Board of Directors issued the following statement: "Certain outstanding problems have been resolved. The directors of Exeter City unanimously decided to request Gerald Vallance to rejoin the board and resume his chairmanship of the club, which he was pleased to accept."
Vallance added that he still wanted to add to the club's Board of Directors, but this will not lead to the dispute which resulted in his shock resignation.
The two men that Vallance had in mind then for the boardroom are no longer interested. Former City goalkeeper and Cockwood publican, Bert Hoyle, no longer wishes to be considered, whilst Exeter Speedway co-promoter, John Richards, has moved to live in Taunton.
"I went off the Board of Directors as a matter of principle," added Vallance. "But these problems have now been sorted out. With regard to the two men in question over directorships, one has left the area, and the other is no longer interested. We would still like to increase the board, but at this stage we have no one definitely in mind."

Exeter City are one of four clubs who will be involved in a mini tournament as part of their pre-season build up for the coming season. They are being joined by Plymouth Argyle, Torquay United and A.F.C. Bournemouth, the tournament being played on a league basis with three points for a win, one for a draw and one for every goal scored. The clubs will be playing for the South West Holiday Trophy and there will be individual mementoes for the winners and runners-up which have been sponsored by Joe Varley Trophies, who are based in Plymouth.

Falmouth Town striker Tony Kellow will sign for Exeter City this evening. Everything has been agreed between the player and both clubs, and City manager John Newman will complete the signing at a Plymouth Hotel. 
"Kellow certainly knows how to find the net," said Newman. "He is a strong, aggressive player and has the ability to do well in the Fourth Division."
Earlier this year Kellow turned down an offer from Torquay United and also a trial period with Manchester City. Kellow started his footballing career with the Falmouth Docks reserve team in the Falmouth and Helston League. At the age of 15 he made his debut for the Docks first team in the Cornwall Combination League. Twelve months later Kellow joined Penzance of the South Western League and went straight into their first team. He played five times for the Cornwall County side and also won a Cornwall Senior Cup medal
Kellow moved to Falmouth Town in the summer of 1973, who were then playing in the South Western League. That season he netted 62 goals and won a league championship medal as well as another Cornwall Senior Cup winners medal. Kellow moved back to Penzance in 1974-75 where he played in their South Western League championship side. In the 1975 close season, Kellow was back at Falmouth Town once more, who by then had joined the Western League. he had no problem in adapting to the higher level scoring over 50 goals.


Former Exeter City goalkeeper, Bob Wilson, has been appointed manager of the club's reserve team in the Western League. Wilson will succeed Tony Long who had charge of the side after the departure of Keith Parsons to Exmouth Town as their manager last year. There were four or five applicants for the post of reserve team manager, but City's first team boss, John Newman, recommended Wilson for the job. "With two young goalkeepers in Richard Key and Phil Howe, I will be signing Bob Wilson on non contract forms to keep me covered in that position" said Newman. "In that way he will have the occasional game in the reserve side to keep himself fit in case he is needed. His main job will be to take over the coaching of the reserves and the training of the amateur players."

"With fewer professionals on the staff this year it will make Wilson's job more difficult. do not expect miracles of the Western League side, but expect it to maintain its status in the Premier Division."



South West Holiday Trophy
Exeter City 3 A.F.C. Bournemouth 0 Scorers: Exeter: Kellow, Jordan (2).

Attendance: 968

A scrambled goal by new signing Tony Kellow after just two minutes set the tone for Exeter City's win against Bournemouth. Kellow was an instant hit, playing with the kind of assurance one expects from a seasoned campaigner. City's other two goals were scored by Mike Jordan, who spent most of last season in the reserves. His first came after 12 minutes from a Graham Weeks right wing cross, and two minutes later, a cross from Peter Hatch from the left found him to make 3-0.

Bournemouth had three reasonably good chances, but they were let down by their forwards who seemed to be clueless in front of goal. They got very little change out of a well organised City defence. All things considered it was a very useful display by Exeter who have every reason to feel optimistic about their prospects for the coming season.

Whether or not the result was a flash in the pan, or an augury of much better things to come, will no doubt become apparent on Tuesday night away to Torquay United.


South West Holiday Trophy

Torquay United 2 Exeter City 1

Scorers: Torquay: Brown, Hickman. Exeter: Hore.
Attendance: 1,800

The facts are plain and simple. Exeter had their chances but did not take them. City reverted to their old tentative pussy footing ways of last season with players seemingly scared to take the initiative in the opposition half of the field. Instead of pressing forward with determination, most seemed to be almost ludicrously anxious to get rid of the ball in any direction. As a result, promising moves broke down in disarray with passes being intercepted and players dispossessed. City did have a good spell in the second half and took the lead in the 59th minute when John Hore came through the Torquay United defence unnoticed to score past Terry Lee. After 75 minutes though it was all square again as lan Hickman equalised. Then five minutes from the end Torquay gained a hotly disputed goal. A throw in from lan Sandercock came to Willie Brown on the dead ball line. He gave an overhead flick and the ball hit the upright with Richard Key motionless and went into the net. The linesman raised his flag, but the referee overruled him and the goal, the winner, stood.



Weymouth 0 Exeter City 2
Scorers: Exeter: Kellow (2).

Exeter City scored twice and sent in two other shots that smacked against the woodwork, but they would probably be the first to admit that the Southern Premier League club gave them a good workout. City took the lead after 20 minutes when Tony Kellow accepted a through pass from Alan Hooker, held off a defender and confidently slotted a goal just inside the post. Exeter's second goal was a mystery penalty in the 30th minute, taken successfully by Kellow, although the Weymouth keeper did get a hand to the ball. The hosts looked lively in attack with Tom Henderson looking particularly lively.



Yeovil Town 1 Exeter City 0

Scorer: Yeovil: McMahon.

Exeter City manager John Newman said that he was not unduly worried by what on paper might seem a morale damaging defeat. City were without four first team players, out through injury.

Southern League Yeovil Town, who had been getting more and more on top in the last 15 minutes of the game, were awarded a penalty in the 89th minute. Bobby Saxton, shielding a ball chased by former Grecian Dick Plumb, brought it under control by using his arm and Frank McMahon netted from the spot.




Exeter City 1 Charlton Athletic 0 Scorer: Kellow

Attendance: 934

Fourth Division defences beware! Cornishman Tony Kellow means business. He is going to be a mighty menace during the next nine months if he continues to reproduce the kind of pre-season form that has brought him three goals in five matches. Kellow oozes with confidence and is a glutton for work. He was outstanding against a Charlton Athletic side that included former City defender Jimmy Giles, who had the job of trying to stop Kellow.

True, Richard Key had to make an excellent second half save, but Exeter were full value for their win. They might have had a couple of goals in the first half through Bobby Hodge and Mike Jordan, but they had to wait until the 60th minute before going in front. From a corner, Kellow powered a header home. This was not just a one-man show though, for City produced fluent approach work with players expressing themselves and their Division Two opponents never had the opportunity to take a grip on the game.




Ottery St. Mary 0 Exeter City 3

Scorers: Saxton, Hore, Beer.

With the new Fourth Division season just three days away, this friendly fixture at Ottery St. Mary proved to be a good work out for the City. Exeter's scorers were Bobby Saxton, John Hore and last seasons leading goalscorer Alan Beer, the latter with his first of this season. One pleasing aspect of the game was that Harry Holman, who has been out with injury all pre-season, returned to the side and came through the game very well.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>