Match 24
11th December 2010
Plymouth Argyle (a)

Plymouth Argyle 2 Exeter City 0. Saturday 11 December 2010.

Ref: Grant Hegley

Att: 14,347 with 2230 City fans.

BBC match report –by Phil Tuckett 

Bradley Wright-Phillips hit both goals as Plymouth Argyle beat Exeter City to avenge their Johnstone's Paint Trophy exit at Home Park a month ago.

Wright-Phillips put his side ahead on 27 minutes with a lobbed right-foot finish from inside the box after a mistake by Exeter keeper Artur Krysiak.

And the striker sealed the points with a close-range header from Craig Noone's cross 12 minutes after the break.

That lifts Argyle to 15th in the table, one point and two places behind Exeter.

Veteran striker Jamie Cureton wasted Exeter's best chance on the stroke of half-time, when he pulled his shot wide despite having a clear sight of goal.

It was the two sides' first league meeting in eight years, Wright-Phillips' goals ensuring Argyle's unbeaten record in the Devon derby in 13 league meetings since April 1993.

The crowd were great - Reid

A flu-bug in Exeter's camp had forced Grecians' boss Paul Tisdale into naming a weakened side from the one that won 2-1 at Home Park in the Trophy game.

Amongst the absentees were captain Steve Tully and influential midfielder Ryan Harley, who was named on the bench.

With both sides not having played for 18 days, the opening period was cagey, hampered perhaps by the recent lack match action.

The game sprung into life on 28 minutes, with Argyle captain Noone, in superb form throughout, the catalyst after he won a free-kick wide on the right.

The diminutive winger floated the ball into the area, and when Krysiak fumbled, Wright-Phillips was perfectly placed to lob home. Buoyed by the goal, Plymouth quickly fashioned further chances.

We were rusty today - Tisdale

The first, a cross from the right that flew just beyond the diving Joe Mason, was quickly followed by a shot from Noone that went just wide of the left-hand post.

Exeter's best chance came from Daniel Nardiello who, having found himself in space in the box, turned to shoot, but was only able to find the hands of Plymouth's keeper.

On the stroke of half-time, Tisdale's men fashioned a second clear opening, but Cureton pushed his close-range effort wide.

After the break, Peter Reid's men came out with the same intensity as they had finished the first period.

A cross from Noone found its way onto the head of a retreating Troy Archibald-Henville, who cut a relieved figure as the ball bounced back off the bar, allowing Exeter's defence to clear.

The second goal came five minutes later, with Noone again the goal maker and Wright-Phillips the taker, rising majestically between Exeter's defenders to head home.

Tisdale quickly rang the changes, bringing on Harley and Billy Jones for Richard Logan and Matt Taylor.

Despite the fresh faces, Plymouth continued to dominate, going on to seal a welcome win that was savoured by the home support after a testing week for the club off the field.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>