Match 22
6 December 2008
Lincoln City (h)

9th December 2008 Combination
Swindon Town (a)

Exeter City 2 Lincoln City 1.

6 December 2008

Referee Dean Whitestone

Attendance 3,916 with 119 away fans.

The Moxey Report 

On a perfect winter's day City and Lincoln struggled to provide much entertainment for the 3.916 faithful until Dean Moxey's late, late winner gave the Grecians a much needed 2-1 win. However, for us the day didn't begin at 3.00it began some two hours earlier as we arrived at the club and parked up in our allocated space as matchball sponsors for the dayWe were greeted by Richard Knight. Paul Farley and Mark Thome and shown our way to the Flybe Suite upstairs and our table for ten, bedecked with amongst other things complimentary match programmes, menus and Pride of Devon booklets. The reason for our sponsorship today was my daughter Charlotte's 15th birthday, which was announced by match day host Giles Ashman along with five other birthdays that dayLiterally the icing on the cake was when catering manager Rose Clace bought out an ECFC birthday cake for Charlotte - a lovely touch from the club. Giles continued to keep us entertained, including a brief interview with former player and City legend Jimmy Giles, then it was time to take our seats for the game itself. But not before we were invited onto the pitch by commercial manager Mark Jenkins where we had our photo taken with the two captains and match officials. For the first 45 minutes we wondered what on earth we were watching as the game lurched from one misplaced pass to the next, one snuffed out attack to another and a general huff and puff with absolutely no end product whatsoever from either side. Except for the very first minute when Deano's quick throw was seized upon by Adam Stansfield who sped goalwards only for the keeper to come racing out to narrow the angle and Stanno to screw horribly wide -so wide in fact that the shot ended up going for a throw in. Thankfully we retreated to the Flybe Suite for a welcome cup of tea at half time, but seemingly within seconds it was time to go back out for the second half. Four minutes in we wished we stayed in the bar. An attacker twisted and turned down the right getting Rob Edwards in all sorts of trouble before firing off a shot that Deano scuffed off the line. Unfortunately it went straight to Lincoln striker Lennell John-Lewis who crashed home from close range to make it 1-0 to the visitors. City came back quickly though, and a couple of minutes later had a great chance for an equaliser when the ball was played out wide to Steve Tully who his a wonderful hanging cross to Ryan Harley ghosting in at the far post, but sadly his shot lacked power and the keeper had an easy save. Two minutes later though and Lincoln had a gilt edged chance to put the game beyond doubt. A strong run down the right resulted in a cross to the far post where John-Lewis was lurking in an identical position to his goal earlier, although fortunately for City he could only volley his fierce drive against the base of the post and away to safety.
Looking to step it up a bit. first manager Paul Tisdale replaced the livewire Ben Watson with Steve Basham, then ten minutes later Stansfield and Neil Saunders were withdrawn for Craig McAllister and Fred Murray. It paid dividends almost immediately, as a couple of minutes later Matt Gill sent over a monster throw into the box that saw McAllister glance a looping header over the keeper and into the far comer for an unlikely equaliser. And all of a sudden the game changed! There was passing, movement, running. tackling and a belief that the game could be won. Ten minutes to go and finally we saw our team beginning to perform as we all knew they could! McAllister charged down a clearance from the keeper and it ricocheted out to Deano on the left flank. He cut inside and let fly with a screaming drive that beat the keeper all ends up, but unfortunately it beat the bar too and sailed harmlessly onto the Big Bank. Five minutes later Lincoln were reduced to ten men, and despite his protests Dan N'Guessan can't really have many complaints about the manner of his dismissal. A ball through to Deano beat the offside trap perfectly, and with Deano scampering in on goal, N'Guessan hauled him to the ground just outside the box. Being the last defender, the ref had little choice but to show the re cardCity failed to make it count though as Harley hit the resultant free kick straight into the keeper's midriff. But it wasn't over just yet-three of the four minutes stoppage time had elapsed when once again Deano was set free down the left, but this time he made no mistake smashing an unstoppable daisy cutter through the keeper to make it a final score of 2-1 to City as the place erupted. Yet the day wasn't over though. We went back to our table in the Flybe Suite and waited for the players to come upFirst Dean Moxey was awarded Man of the Match by match sponsors City Plumbing although they actually invited my ten year old son to choose the lad knows his footy, and it was a popular choice that few could disagree on. After the Man of the Match presentation, it was our turn as match ball sponsors, and Charlotte was both suitably embarrassed and delighted to be called up to the front to have her signed ball presented by towering centre half Matt Taylor, then the rest of our party joined her, Matt and Deano for a couple of photographs. We then had a few more drinks and chats to both players and club officials before making our way home. It has to be said that this is one thing the club does particularly well, and one thing that goes largely unreported too. We were looked after wonderfully well all day by the club, and nothing was too much troubleThe food was delicious and there was plenty of it too. And there were the nice touches too, like the signed card and ball for Charlotte. If anyone is thinking of trying hospitality at all, then the call you make to operations manager Andy Gillard really will be one that you won't regret, and I guarantee you'll go home having enjoyed a spectacular day out courtesy of yours and my football club. But what about the players? After all, they're the reason we go each week. Well to be honest after that first half we were probably all wondering just why we do, it was a shocker of a half, and 1 doubt that any of the 22 players out there can be completely happy with how they performed However the second half was a different matter, and despite falling behind the lads showed good determination in knuckling down and working hard to turn the match around. Deano was deservedly Man of the Match with a tireless display down the left flank, despite the whole Maxey family being struck down with heavy colds. A most welcome sight, however, was Nell Saunders making his first start for the club, and getting a good 70-odd minutes under his belt. I bet at times he thought it would never happen, but he must have been delighted to finally make his debut after nearly eighteen injury ravaged months at the club

A second report by the BBC –

Dean Moxey struck in the 90th-minute to give Exeter victory over Lincoln, who had Dany N'Guessan sent off late on.

Adam Stansfield failed to beat keeper Rob Burch when clean through in the only chance of the first half. Lincoln took the lead when Lenell John-Lewis hammered home the rebound from David Graham's shot but Craig McAllister headed in an equaliser. N'Guessan saw red for a professional foul on Moxey, who then scored the winner from Craig McAllister's flick.

Exeter: Jones, Tully, Seaborne, Edwards, Moxey, Saunders (Murray 72), Gill, Panther, Harley, Stansfield (McAllister 72), Watson (Basham 60).
Subs Not Used: Marriott, Sercombe.

Booked: Watson.
Goals: McAllister 75, Moxey 90.

Lincoln City: Burch, Green, Sinclair, Hone, Beevers, Oakes, Frecklington, Kerr, N'Guessan, Graham (Patulea 77), John-Lewis (Brown 80).
Subs Not Used: Duffy, Wright, Clarke.

Sent Off: N'Guessan (88).
Booked: Hone.
Goals: John-Lewis 51.

Tuesday 9th December 2009 Combination

Swindon Town 1 Exeter City 0
(played at Hungerford Town FC)

Against a strong Robins line-up, chances were at a premium for both sides and Patrick Kanyuka's first half goal settled proceedings. The big defender headed home Chris Allen's free-kick and then played a big part in shutting City out at the other end. Toby Osman had the visitors' best chance to equalise, but he fluffed his lines in front of goal. Grecians player-caoch Rob Edwards said: "They had a very strong side out and we played well. It was quite a good performance. Liam Sercombe played well and Richard Logan played 90 minutes, which was good for him.

"Ben Osman also played last night and it was the best I have seen him play. We have got some good young players in the squad and they are doing well. "I can definitely see some of them going on to enjoy a good career at the club. Exeter have produced George Friend, Dean Moxey and Danny Seaborne and I'm sure there are more to come. A club like ours has to do that to survive. "We picked up a couple of injunes, which was disappointing. Both Fred Murray and Scott Bennett had to come off. Fred just hurt his knee a bit but it wasn't too bad. He should have been OK for the following Saturday Apart from the injuries and the fact City narrowly lost. Edwards said he was pleased with his side's performance against Swindon. Despite the defeat, the Grecians remain top of the Combination League Wales & West Division with 15 points from nine games. Swindon leapfrog Bristol City into second following their victory, a point behind Edwards' side with a game in hand.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>