Match 14
20 October 1971
Gillingham (h)

Exeter City 1-1 Gillingham 


GILLINGHAM won their first away point for a month with a slap-dash performance at Exeter. They would have won if referee Walters had not disallowed what looked a perfectly good Brian Yeo goal, five min utes from time.

Gillingham spoilt them selves: they were clearly the more likely side throughout this match. and should have won in a canter. But all their good work was ruined by slackness at a vital moment.

They have shown already this season that they have the ability to win promotion, but if they persist in making life difficult for them selves, then they will soon be out of the reckoning.

Apart from putting the ball in the net and al though Yeo was desper ately unlucky with his late effort, Gills finished up hanging on grimly for one point.

As on Saturday against Darlington, Gillingham started with defensive problems. Tony Morrin was given more space than he could possibly have hoped for, and after nine minutes the home side went ahead.

Barry Rowan slipped Terry Parmenter and sent over a long cross from the right. Bill Williams allowed JOHN WINGATE too much room and, although City's leading scorer miskicked his shot, goalkeeper Peter Shearing was caught in no man's land and the ball went over his head.

The goal was against the run of play, and when the equaliser came seven minutes later, it was fully deserved. Gills were awarded an indirect free kick just in side the penalty area. Dick Tydeman took it and BRIAN YEO swooped in to convert his low cross. Gillingham were in command in the early stages of the second half. They tightened up con siderably at the back, and their midfield indus try opened the way to goal. But that was as far as it went.

Tydeman and hard working Alan Wilks were not quick enough to accept a good chance im mediately after the break. David Peach crept up behind the Exeter de fence to reach Tydeman's long cross, but headed against the outside of a post.

Full-back Jimmy Blair kicked off the line from Tommy Watson after Gillingham's first second-half corner, and after 77 minutes, Yeo failed with the type of chance he normally glories in.  He brilliantly found space to reach Dan Quirke's free-kick, but headed just over.

Gillingham fell to pieces at the back again as Shearing came under fire.

He saved well from Fred Binney and John Giles to keep his side in the game and it looked as if Gills had snatched it with time running out. 

Peach carried the ball through from midfield and when keeper Bob Wilson failed to hold his shot, Yeo clipped the ball in. But referee Waters said no.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>