Match 10
1st October 1983
Bradford City (a)

Victory at last for City 
1st October 1983

Bradford City 1-3 Exeter City 

Exeter City's lost confidence came surging back at rain sodden Valley Parade on Satur- day. They recorded their first win of the season against fellow-strugglers Bradford City and player-manager Gerry Frances was quick to praise the whole team for its battling performance. Exeter couldn't have started better. After Howarth had gone close with a snap shot. Stan McEwan ended the club's dreadful six and a half hour goal-less spell in dramatic fashion. He picked up a ball in midfield and unexpectedly let loose a shot from 35 yards which sizzled into the bottom right hand corner of the Bradford net. It was the break Exeter needed. Although Bradford tried to get back into the match with a series of raids, it was Exeter who sparkled, They chased everything and hurried Bradford into making mistakes. After goalkeeper Bond, and a confident back four had resisted some frantic home attacks, Exeter went two up in the 24th minute. McEwan floated a ball forward to Kellow who neatly headed across to Peter Rogers. The nippy forward surged into the box and cracked in an unstoppable shot. Francis could have made it three with a marvellous shot six minutes later, but his 20 yarder shaved the post. Bradford stormed back and Haire looked on for a goal when he had just Bond to beat but he headed tamely at the Exeter keeper. However, in the 34th minute he made amends when Viney slipped and the Bradford forward whacked in a shot just under the bar. The first half had been full of excitement, mistakes, near misses and quality goals. The second half was played at a much slower pace with Exeter settling down and defending more. Bond was needed to perform his heroics on several occasions before Rogers scored his second goal. Viney floated a free kick from just outside his own penalty box over Bradford's flat footed defence and Rogers jumped for the bouncing ball, with keeper McManus. Rogers got there first and nudged the ball gently between the posts. That was in the 64th minute. and after the goal Bradford appeared to concede defeat. Exeter sent on Neville for the limping Auguste, and later Bradford replaced Cooke with Mellor. It had been a brave performance from Exeter, who on Friday had wanted the game called off because of injuries. Several played carrying strains and deserve full marks for keeping going for 90 minutes.

Bradford: Podd,
Exeter: Rogers.

Bradford C (1) 1 Haire
Exeter (2) 3  McEwan, Rogers 2

Attendance 2,505



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>