Match 43
3 April 1984 (rearranged to the 24th April 1984)
Football League Trophy (AM Cup)
Plymouth Argyle (a)

There a was no game on 3 April 1984 (Plymouth away FLT).

This was rearranged to 24 April!
Match Report 


David Phillips celebrated his call-up into the Welsh senior squad by laying on one goal and scoring another to secure Plymouth Argyle's place in the semi finals of the Associate Members' Cup. But the 20-year-old utility player's exploits at Home Park last night were overshadowed by a glittering display from Mark Rowe, who ran the show from midfield and spurted Plymouth on to a Southern section clash with Millwall next month. Part-time striker Bradley Swiggs, also had an impressive first full outing in Argyle's new look formation as injury hit Exeter looking doomed to relegation were torn apart in the first hour Exeter, without a League win in 18 matches, had three men booked and despite an 85th minute goal from Mark O'Con nor, looked a well beaten side. Plymouth, with Chris Harrison playing sweeper an experimental defensive line-up, dominated the first half.

Swiggs crashed an acute angle shot over in the second minutc and it was virtually one wav traffic on the beleagured Exeter goal from that moment on Leigh Cooper sent a 35-yard drive whistling over in the 16th minute before Swiggs had u goalbound header cleared off the line by O'Connor. Then Phillips brilliantly carved out the 22nd minute opening goal. Fed by Smith's initial ball. he burst down the right wing to despatch a superb cross for the central defender to power a forceful downward header past stranded keeper, Richard Crabtree

Neville Chamberlain displayed some deft touches to put more pep into Argyles increasing forward momentum. John Uzzell almost added their superiority with a 40th-minute header from Cooper's corner but Martin Ling was back to clear his lines. Swiggs growing in confidence by the minute. helped to keep Argyle rolling, forward with tchewed menace after the break. Phillips put them further in front in the 60th minute, rising to head in Rowe's searching cross after the Devonport Dockyard worker had set the move up in midfield. Player-manager, Gerry Francis. who had replaced Ling three minutes earlier. breathed tem porary fire into Exeter's causé His intelligent promptings led to John Sims squandering Citys only clearcut chance in the 63rd minute as the former Argyle striker dwelt too long on an opportunity presented to him by Roy McDonough. It was Sims who forced 'Keeper; Dave Philp, called up for the first team debut. to produce his first and only save five minutes later. Chamberlain later to be substituted by Kevin Hodges, again went close at the other end hooking over a Mike Ham pass before Exeter grabbed some late consolation for their efforts O'Connor burst through the middle to despatch a 20-yard shot over Philp and into the back of the net but it had come top late to save City.

Four men were booked, Steve Harrower, Nick Nick Marker and Graeme Kirkup for Exeter and Argyle's Rowe

Attendance: 3.715.




Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>