Match 05
29 August 1970
Peterborough United (home)

EXETER CITY this afternoon won their first match of the season when they beat Peterborough United 3-2 in their Fourth Division game at St. James's Park. Joe Gadston scored the first two, and Barry Rowan added an third just before the end.

Exeter were as announced, which meant that Barry Rowan was making his home debut. There was no Graham Parker because of an injured knee, and Steve Morris was at wing half.

The teams:

EXETER: Wilson; Crawford, Blain; Morris, Sharples, Balson; Rowan, Mitten, Gadston, Wingate, Corr. Sub: Banks.

PETERBOROUGH UNITED: Drewery; Noble, Duncliffe; Kwiatkowski, Wile, Wright, Price, Sheffield, Hall, Iley, Pleat.

Sub: Turpie.

Referee: D. A. Corbett (Wolverhampton).

Peterborough's side included the former Exeter player David Pleat, given a free transfer by the City in the close season be- cause of business reasons. Peterborough were the first to move forward, but Exeter came back with a free-kick which was easily cleared. Another free-kick followed but this time Exeter were penalised. Rowan tried one of his long throw-ins, but it was not long enough. A good move by Exeter saw Gadston play a neat ball to Mitten, who could not turn quickly enough. Then a long clearance by Wilson caught the Posh defence in a tangle. Wingate ran well to give himself a chance, only to shoot wide from a good position. Good running by Gadston for a return pass gave Exeter an opening, but his hard cross was hammered away by Wile. Peterborough almost took the lead in the 14th minute, From a cross, Sharples headed the ball into the air; Wilson did not clear properly, and Sharples had to block Hall's shot on the line. Peterborough followed up with a Pleat corner. It was a good inswinger which Wilson dealt with well. But in the 21st minute Exeter went ahead. A long clearance by Wilson was helped on by Wingate, and GADSTON hit a fine shot into the net which Drewery tried to l scoop over the bar. So far, Exeter were playing well, and were making a good After 33 minutes, however, Peterborough equalised with a soft goal. An ILEY free-kick went into the Exeter penalty area. There seemed to be a mistake by Wilson with another player in attendance. The ball finished in the back of the Exeter net. Five minutes later Morris had a fine shot saved by Drewery. The Peterborough missed two chances. First, Price miskicked in front of goal and then Hall, on his own, in front of goal, rolled the ball past the post with only Wilson to beat. Now Peterborough were calling the tune, and a hard drive by Pleat was only inches wide. Back came Exeter through corner, and Rowan's cross a was taken out by Drewery, who needed treatment as a result.


Exeter forced two corners at the start of the second half, and from the second Sharples had his shot forced off the line by a mass of players. When Exeter moved forward again Rowan cut inside but shot too high. From a quickly-taken free kick Gadston crossed, but Drewery had no trouble in taking the ball. A good ball inside the full back by Wingate for Rowan was hacked behind for a corner, but the referee awarded Posh a free kick. But Exeter almost went ahead in the 56th minute. Rowan moved inside from the left to push a pass to Wingate, whose terrific first-time shot thudded against the post. Then, following a good move, Mitten's shot was well saved by Drewery. A minute later Drewery was diving low to his left to stop Wingate's drive. Corr ran well for a throw-in, but wasted his good work with an optimistic shot. At the other end a mistake by Blain let in Price, but Wilson saved at point blank range. Then Rowan had a tremendous shot palmed away by Drewery, and in the 65th minute, substitute Turpie replaced Price for the Posh. A good cross from Mitten was wasted by Wingate, although Peterborough had to concede a corner. Exeter were now pushing forward and in the 74th minute they went ahead again. Rowan took a pass and beat one man before slipping the ball to GADSTON who steadied himself before driving the ball into the corner of the net. Exeter were dominating at this stage of the game, but Blain needed treatment for an ankle injury. Free running by Gadston on the right created space and from his cross Mitten had a header taken under the bar by Drewery. Wile was booked after dis- puting with the referee. Wingate pushed a through ball forward for Gadston, but the City player was offside. Then some good work by Blain cut out a Peterborough move. In the closing minutes Exeter scored again. A long clearance by Wilson was chased by ROWAN and the winger went to the side of Drewery and then came back towards goal to hammer a shot into the net. HALL added a second for Peterborough - in the last minute.


Attendance. 4,537.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>