Match 13
3 October 1970
Lincoln City (a)

Imps lead ended by interval

Lincoln City roared into a 60-second lead over Exeter at Sincil Bank this afternoon but on half-time the visitors levelled it. But two goals from Trevis after 55 and 64 minutes gave the Imps a strong lead.

Lincoln City.
Kennedy: G. Taylor, Peden Hubbard Harford, Branston, Hughes, Trevis. Freeman, W Taylor Smith. Sub, Fletcher

Exeter City. Shearing: Crawford. Blain, Parker, Balson. Wingate, Rowan,Gadston, Binney, Corr, Morris.

Referee: A. R. Jordan. Middiesborough

Lincoln got off to rip-roaring start and immediately dented Exeter's no-goals-against record from their last two games They produced a three-man move which brought them to the lead with their first attack of the game. Graham Taylor put clear to skipper Trevis who swept a superb pass out to Hughes. The winger moved in and then passed to HUBBARD who crashed in a goal which went in off the bar. It was his fifth in his last six Fourth Division matches. Although Exeter gained the first corner it was the Imps who had the first opportunity to add to their lead. Hughes slung over a low cen tre which Exeter just cleared and then Freeman forced Shearing to dive desperately to stop his fierce cross-shot. Freeman, causing a lot of problems to Balson, then broke through and miskicked. although he made up for it with a good header moments later. On half-hour indeed he had a goal disallowed, seemingly for off-side. In a rare Exeter raid Gadston put in a shot which bounced badly and Kennedy was glad to push it behind. Back on the attack though went Lincoln and Freeman followed up a loose ball to earn a corner. Right on half-time, Exeter edged back and minute from the break Gadston fired in to bring Kennedy to full-stretch. Right on half-time GADSTON let fly with another effort out of the blue and it entered the Lincoln net to the amazement of the whole hime side.


Peden was in action at both ends at the start of the second- half, twice saving and once making a goal attempt. Lincoln pulled back ahead in the 55th minute when Shearing only half-saved a Hughes corner. The ball went loose and W Taylor, making up for some sloppy play lobbed in brilliantly for TREVIS to back-head into the net. Exeter replied with a Rowan effort which Kennedy was glad to se bounce off his body. The Imps went two up when the ball came across in the 64th minute and TREVIS stabbed it home despite being marked by two men




Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>