Match 10
29th September 1971
Cambridge United (a)

Lively attack but no killer touch!


Attendance: 4,924.

Cambridge United lived up to their promise of attacking football in last night's Fourth Division encounter against Eat at the Abbey Stadium, but inexplicably failed to produce the goods.

The promise was always apparent, but the killer touch at the crucial moment, as at Lincoln on Saturday, was never in evidence. One point would hardly have been a satisfactory reward for their toll, but to lose both was a tragedy. Yet United can have no complaints; it was their failure. Exeter engineered one chance and missed and then cashed in on moment of opportunism.

This was in the 60th minute following United's severest bout of pressure on their goal. worked the ball downfield and at the penalty area Chris Foote failed to get the ball away. John Wingate rushed in and booted a tremendous shot into the far corner of the net.

Their one genuine chance fell In the fourth minute when Rowan ran round the back of the United defence and centred. Thompson failed to clear and Joe Gadston was left with a gaping goal, but Trevor Roberts saved at point blank range.


Just before this United should have taken the lead. Brian Green- halgh got through and centred low across the goalmouth for Roly Horrey, but the winger's deliber- ately aimed shot was cleared off the goal line by Stacey who, with Giles, gained much of the credit for a survival as the game continued.

After this rousing opening the game lulled for a spell, but only, it seemed, for United to organise themselves into top gear. They plugged away down the centre and from both flanks and the promise was always there until arrival at the penalty area, where Exeter unceremoniously pumped the ball away when the slightest danger threatened United were obviously gingered up at half-time for they started the second half with great determination. The first attack saw Peter Phillips racing in possession into the penalty area, but his shot was blocked, as were Ivan Hol- lett's and Horrey's before Stacey once again relieved the pressure.

But United came straight back and again it was Phillips who dummied his way past one de- fender and dribbled round another before seeing his shot blocked. Brian Greenhalgh hit the rebound and United's strikers stood and gaped as goalkeeper Wilson juggled with the ball while lying on his back. Eventually he dropped it, but again Stacey sensed the danger and was on hand to boot the ball for a corner.

Exeter scored shortly after this and immediately began to pull back two extra defenders whenever United threatened. And, as one might expect in their situation, there was never any hesitation about booting the ball away.

United eventually had the ball in the net with 15 minutes left when John Collins netted a Guild free kick which rebounded off the wall, but the linesman emphatic- ally waved Greenhalgh offside, although he could hardly have interfered with play.

Phillips was surprisingly replaced by Lill for the last 10 minutes but with Horrey playing further back and Lill for some reason con- tinually dropping back into mid- field, the attack lost its zest and with it the season's unbeaten home record in the Fourth Division.

Cambridge United: Roberts: Thompson, Eades, Guild. Akers, Collins, Foote, Horrey, Greenhalgh, Hollett, Phillips (Lill 80 minutes).

Exeter Wilson; Crawford, Stacey. Blain, Giles, Balson, Rowan, Binney, Gadston, Wingate, Morris, Sub: Banks.

Match Report 2 

Camb. Utd. 0, Exeter 1

ONE slip by the tight Cambridge defence allowed Exeter to grab their first away win.

It came in the 60th minute when defender Chris Foote lost possession in front of his own goal and John Wingate hammered the ball home from the edge of the penalty area.

After the goalless first half. Cambridge were unlucky not to score in the opening minutes of the second.

Shots from John Collins, Ivan Hollett and Roly Horrey were charged down and Collins banged a Horrey pass over the bar.



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>