Match 56
8th May 1981
Chesterfield (a)


Blues sign off quietly


Match Report By Simon Farrington

THE highlight of what was basically a drab end of season game at Saltergate last night was the form of two Chesterfield youngsters, Gary Bellamy and David Windridge, who, with something to prove, showed effort and determination exceeding that of some of their team-mates. It was an end of season jaunt for both teams. Exeter, who left for a club holiday in Majorca today, were barely competitive while several Chesterfield players looked jaded after an over-long season encompassing 65 matches in nine months. With Danny Wilson thankfully serving a one- month suspension last night and not at the start of next season as was first feared, manager Frank Barlow took the chance to see how Windridge fared striking from the left side of midfield. The slightly built youngster, who has impressed in the Reserve's success this season, showed some nice touches and pace but often his final ball was not good enough. That couldn't be said of full- back Bellamy. He's being given his chance at right-back with Barlow thinking no doubt that. with Colin Tartt still on the transfer list and John Stirk struggling to find form, he could be looking for a new face in the right back slot next term. Bellamy is tall, he's quick and strong in the tackle and what he lacks in positional sense, he makes up for in aggression. With Bellamy quietly slotting in to that spot, Tartt was given a run out in midfield and his superb header on the hour proved the difference between the teams.

Alan Birch, looking tired, made room for the hard-working Andy Kowalski to float in a cross which Tartt headed powerfully past Exeter's young keeper Steve Nute (photo). Ernie Moss, having scored nine goals in his last 11 games to help Chesterfied to 72 League goals for the season- the highest in the division had a frustrating night. Before the start he received a cup from a local pub for his services to the club but he wasted several excellent chances to cross late in the second half as Exetes relaxed their defensive grip. The early chances fell to Exeter, particularly Ray Pratt and the division's leading scorer Tony Kellow. But John Turner pulled off a string of fine saves.

Turner: Bellamy. O'Neill, Kowalski, Green, Ridley, Birch, Moss, Bennyman, Tartt, Windridge. Sub Simpson
Exeter City:
Nute: Rogers, Sparrow, Prince, Roberts, Mitchell, Fisher. Rogers, Kellow, Pratt, Hatch. Pullar (replaced Rogers after 74 minutes.)

Referee: R. A. Banks (Manchester).

Attendance: 3.448



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>