Match 38
16th March 1985
Chester (a)

  • Match Report 1 

Chester pay the price
Chester 1-3 Exeter

CHESTER paid a heavy price for two defensive blunders in a match they should have won at Sealand Road on Saturday. Chester were off to a bad start when Bob Coy and Phil Harrington left the ball to each other on the edge of the penalty area, and Exeter striker Ray Pratt nipped in to gratefully accept a gift goal. After that setback it was nearly all Chester, with Andy Holden having a goal dis- allowed after 30 minutes and Exeter goalkeeper Jeff Wood making brilliant saves from Paul Blackwell and Stuart Rimmer. Exeter were only seen in breakaways and Harrington made up for his earlier mistake by saving from Martin Ling and Danny O'Shea.

Chester carried on in the second half where they left off and it was no surprise when they equalised after 71 minutes. Rimmer who has just signed from Everton, was brought down by Nick Marker and Nigel Walker scored from the penalty. But just when Chester should have been cashing in they committed two more glaring defensive mistakes. After 77 minutes the defence was wide open to a cross by Kevin Smith and Pratt scored Straight from the re-start Harrington dashed from his area to clear, but Pratt beat him to it and netted the simplest of goals to complete his hat-trick.

  • Match Report 2

Harrington; Dixon, Blackwell; Holden, Coy, Brett: Rimmer, Walker, Greenhough, Bayer, Bulmer. Sub: Evans.

Wood; Kirkup, King: McNichol, Marker, Viney: Ling. O'Shea, Morgan, Pratt, Burgher. Sub: Smith.

Referee: Mr. K. Walmsley (Black- pool).

CHESTER made an impressive start with Wood making a brilliant save to stop Rimmer converting a pass from Holden. Chester kept up the pressure with a cross from Rimmer and Greenhough sent a shot over the top. But against the run of play, Exeter went in front after 10 minutes with a goal which will give the Chester defence nightmares. Goalkeeper Harrington and Coy both left the ball to each other on the edge of the penalty area and PRATT nipped in to accept a gift chance. Chester came back and Wood tipped over a long range drive from Blackwell. Although Exeter were playing second fiddle at this stage, they still carried a threat on the break and twice were close to increasing their lead through O'Shea and Ling. Exeter's robust defending earned them two bookings for fouls -Burgher and Viney.
Chester 0-1 Exeter City 
Two goals in a minute by Ray Pratt completed his hat trick for Exeter to lead 3-1.


Paul F



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>