Match 51
12th April 1986
Chester C (a)

Strong Exeter held at bay by Chester 

Butcher: Glenn, Lane, Greenhough, Barrett, Cay, Kelly, Graham, Richardson, Johnson, Houghton. Sub: Bennett.

Shaw: Massey, Viney. Crawford, McCaffery, Marker, Ling, Johnson, Ward. Keough, Kellow. Sub: Harrower

Referee: Mr. T. Simpson

STRIKER Ian Richardson and defender Martin Lane returned to a Chester side-hoping to take a big stride towards the Third Division this afternoon. It needed a fine tackle by Marker to prevent Richardson from giving Chester an early lead against an Exeter team unbeaten in nine games. Chester kept the pres- sure on the visitors defence with a shot by Greenough which went wide from Kelly's pass. Exeter had a narrow escape after six minutes when Johnson and Richardson linked up well to set up a chance for Kelly, whose goal- bound shot was deflected wide. Johnson gave the Exeter defence a harrowing time in the air. Twice from free kicks by Coy he bought goalkeeper Shaw into action with good saves. A penalty claim by Exeter was turned down by the referee, and Ches ter swept back into the attack with a fine through ball from Kelly, but Johnson hesitated and the shot well wide. Johnson was the cul- prit again in the 35th minute when a Coy free kick was pulled back by Houghton, only for Johnson to slide the ball wide from close range. Exeter almost conceded a goal just before half time when a corner from Lane slipped through Shaw's fingers and went over off the top of the bar. From the resulting corner by LANE the ball went over the top of Shaw and straight into the net

Half-time: Chester 1, Exeter 0.

Chester lost the lead after 72 minutes when a bad back-pass by Barrett was turned in by Kellow. Three minutes later Chester's lead was restored from the penalty spot by Johnson.

McNally Saluted 

From the Liverpool Echo Monday 14th April 

CHESTER fans celebrated early after their side had beaten 2-1 to virtually clinch promotion from the Fourth Division. Manager Harry McNally had to make an appearance in the directors' box after hundreds of supporters stayed behind chanting his name. Chester clinched the points with a 75th minute penalty from Steve Johnson, who could have helped himself to a hat-trick. Johnson's penalty winner came three minutes after Exete had scored a shock equaliser. After dominating the first half Chester finally had, their reward on the stroke of half time as Martin Lane's second successive corner curled in at the far post.





Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>