Match 12
2 October 1999.
Lincoln C (a)

EXETER City wasted a string of second- half chances as they went down to a second successive Division Three defeat.

The Grecians had enough of the game to have taken at least a share of the spoils but their disappointing form in front of goal was capped by a late penalty miss. Exeter had earlier survived against a strong wind in the first-half and looked the team most likely to get the break- through. Stuart Naylor, back at the Lincoln City ground where he started out in League football 19 years ago, saved comfortably early on from a Stuart Bimson long-range shot. Then, a Bimson corner had Naylor completely beaten but the ball also eluded three Lincoln players coming in at the far post. Exeter hit back and Shaun Gale was unlucky when his 31st-minute shot brought a great save out of Lincoln 'keeper Barry Richardson. Almost immediately, Lincoln counter-attacked and a shot from Lee Thorpe had Naylor beaten but Exeter were saved when Jon Richardson cleared off the line. Seven minutes before the break, a controversial decision by referee Michael Ryan let Lincoln off the hook. Striker Shayne Bradley broke away and had a clear run on goal, only to be crudely brought down by Peter Gain.

The Lincoln man escaped with a yellow card when Exeter clearly thought his punishment should have been more severe. Exeter pushed forward in the second-half, only to be caught out in the 58th minute when a cross from Lee Philpott was headed in at the far post by Richard Peacock. That led to five minutes of intense pressure from the Lincoln team with Thorpe twice striking the post and Naylor producing a one-handed save to keep out a deflected shot from Philpott. The introduction of substitute Geoff Breslan for turned things Exeter's way in the final 16 minutes. Ten minutes from time, Gain tripped Kofi Nyamah just inside the box when there was no apparent danger to the Lincoln goal. Referee Ryan had no hesitation in awarding the spot kick but Alexander sent his shot too close to Richardson and the 'keeper was able to deflect the ball over the bar. Substitute Robert Speakman was brought on for the final seven minutes as Exeter laid siege to the Lincoln goal. Barry McConnell had a chance but his long-range shot was saved by Richardson. Then Breslan saw Richardson out of position. and fired in a 30-yard shot which was heading for the top corner until the 'keeper managed to scramble back and push the ball over the bar. Lincoln then broke away deep into stoppage time but Naylor saved his team by racing out of his area to clear from Gavin Gordon. And to add to Exeter's problems Rob Dewhurst suffered a late injury and was stretchered off.

Exeter City 
Naylor Richardson Gittens Dewhurst Robinson Gale. Curran Holloway Nyamah Bradley Alexander Substitutes: Breslan (for Gale, 74), Speakman (Bradley, 83). McConnell (Dewhurst, 86), Worrall, Matthews.

Lincoln City:
Richardson; Brown, Barnett, Welsh, Bimson (Gain, 28), Peacock, Finnigan, Galloway, Philpott, Thorpe, Gordon; Subs. Marriott, Miller, Smith, Stant.

Lincoln City - Peacock 58.

Lincoln City Philpott 27, Gain 38, Gordon
Exeter City - Nyamah, Bradley 69.

Referee: Michael Ryan Preston

Attendance: 3,557.

Star Man:  Stuart Naylor-made some great saves



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>