Match 48
29th April 1989
Hartlepool (h)

Ten men run out of luck

Exeter 2 Hartlepool 1

HARTLEPOOL go into to day's home game with Peterborough still needing at least a point to be sure of Fourth Division safety. But if they show the commitment and spirit in their three remaining games that they demonstrated at Exeter on Saturday: these should be no problems. Behind after four minutes and down to 10 men for almost an hour. Pool battled hard only to be denied the point they deserved by an injury time-goal. Joe Allon was sent off for a foul in a game which was never totally under the control of Swindon referee Kevin Cooper. Now Allon could be suspended at the start of next season, and that is a blow for a player who has been hitting top form recently. It was Allon who scored Pool's 25th minute equaliser after Paul Dalton's shot was beaten out by goalkeeper Kevin Miller. Scott Hiley had given Exeter a 10th minute lead and after Pool produced enough chances in the second-half to win the game, the 10 men were punished when lan Benjamin scored a late goal after the defence made a mess of a corner. Allon was joined in the ref's book by five other Pool players John Tinkler, Andy Toman. Keith Nobbs, Tony Smith and skipper Paul Baker. Pool boss, Bob Moncur, was obviously far from happy with the way the game was handled. but there was some consolation in his team's spirited show "At this stage of the season we are getting ready for next season," he said. "Players who, believe we could take it easy have been told they are in for a shock and they have responded well. But they need to continue with that response in every remaining match."

EXETER Miller Banks, Dryden, Rogers. Taylor. McDermott. Rowbotham, Benjamin, Harns, Neville. Hiley. Subs (not used) Vinnicombe, Smith.

Moverley Plaskett McKinnon, Tinkler (sub Ogden, 53). Smith, Nobbs. Allon, Toman, Baker, Grayson, Dalton Sub (not used) Atkinson

Referee K Cooper (Swindon)

Attendance 2.380


Paul F



Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>